Classical Marshall tone. Germino Lead 55 or Silver Jubilee 2550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by picassochild, Sep 23, 2008.

1. picassochild

picassochild Member

Hey guys,

wanna buy some amp with classical Marshall tone. I think about Germino Lead 55 as one of the best Marshall replica or Silver Jubilee 2550 or 2555 as one of the most wanted amp now and seems like a Marshall heritage amp with Plexi/JCM-800/Hi-Gain tones. What do you think, which one is the winner? Thanks in advance.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

What do you consider 'Classic Marshall tone'. Kind of a wide spectrum there. Songs or artists.

Off the cuff, I'd say the Germino.

3. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Germino, or Reinhardt I would think would get you right next to a Joob, I don't see how you would go wrong with any of the above.

4. marsos52

marsos52 Member

its a no brainer GERMINO

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

The Jubilee is a killer amp. I was always concerned that I wouldn't be able to use a non master volume amp to its fullest w/o buying an attenuator.
    The pices of Jubilee's have also gone crazy.

6. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've got both, well kinda (JCM Slash and LV55). The Germino will get a ton of classic rock tones. The Slash is more high-gain and modern hard rock (not metal). They both sound like Marshalls, just different vibes. I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but depends on the vibe/tones your going for.

The Slash also sounds good at low volumes. The Germino has great cleans on low volumes, but to get the breakup it has to be pretty loud or used with an attenuator.

7. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I owned a 2553 which apparently sounds different than a 2555, but I'd say the Jub has a very distinct voicing that is not "classic Marshall". It's a bit darker than classic 70s rock. A bit full bodied like a mid 60s JTM.

I'd go with a Germino because he really seems to know his stuff, his amps are PTP, and boutique builders usually provide much better customer service than larger amp manufacturers. Though, since the Jub is 20 years old, I doubt you would get ANY customer service either way from Korg/Marshall.

YMMV

8. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I own a 2555 and I am able to get a few different marshall tones out of it. But I tell you what, I played a Straub Cantus about a month ago and it was fantastic. Killer classic marshall tones with a master volume. Boost switch if you need higher gain. And to top it off, it comes in a killer wooden box with backlit controls. It is ptp as well. There is a guy selling one on here for 1500.00 shipped and paypal'd. If I could find a way to buy it without the wife finding out, trust me it would be in my basement already. You should definitely check one out before you make a decision.

9. picassochild

picassochild Member

Guys, THANK YOU! I think I'll keep my Germino and will use my BJF Baby Blue & Dyna Red to get more modern stuff.

10. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

no mention of metro amps... They've gotta be up there for sure!

11. jaz1629

jaz1629 Member

a marshall 2555 amp is NOT PTP. IT IS NOT HANDWIRED.ITS ALL PC BOARDS.I OWNED 1 AND COMPARED TO GERMINO IT FALLS WAY SHORT/THERE HAS NOT BEEN A MSRSHALL PTP HANDWIRED IN ABOUT 35 YEARS.THEW ONLY MARSHALL THAT ARE PTP NOW IS ITS HANDWIRED REISSUES,THATS IT,EXP100 WATT PLEXI HANDWIRED,JTM-45 OFFSET 412 IN 2000 WAS HANDWIRED,MARSHALL 1X12 COMBO WAS HW AND THE LITTLE 20 WATT HEAD WAS HW

12. Blix

Blix Member

Uh, read the post you replied to again, you read it wrong, he didn't say that the 2555 is PTP at all. And turn off your Caps Lock!

13. Roe

Roe Member

I'd take any plexi (and metal panel) over the later amps personally

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

Never played a Jub, but have a switcher JCM800 2205 as well as a single channel 2204.

The thing with clipping diodes (2205 and Jub), they are great for more modern high gain but can't back off to the true 60s/70s tones. The clean channels can get nasty, but the voicing isn't there to do true Marshall 60s/70s stuff either.

The single channel JCM800 2204 ... when played loud (I use an attenuator), will get old and nasty. Squashy, compressed highs, old school. This, or a plexi, may be where you want to go.

15. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the Jubilee. They have diodes or something in the circuit to help them get the gain- mine just never seemed right to me. I prefer the 2204 or its combo equivilent.

A big +1 for the Straub Cantus! Great from Plexi tones to high gain stuff and outstanding build quality.

Other considerations- Dr Z SRZ65. Aiken Intruder. Rivera R Series.