1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Classicals?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lerxst2112, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I've always just played classical stuff on my Larrivee (yes, I know, that's terrible), but lately I've become very interested in actually getting a very nice classical.

Could someone point me in the direction of the best builders? Money is not really a huge problem - I mean, I don't want to (and won't) spend $20,000, but several thousand wouldn't be a huge problem.

If this isn't the place to ask (or there is a better one), could someone please show me?

Thanks.

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Good friend of mine builds some killer classicals, check www.delgadoguitars.com Manuel is a great human being.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

for starters, check out these sites:

www.guitarsaloninternational.com

www.theguitarsalon.com

www.trilogyguitars.com

www.classicguitar.com

www.classicalguitarstore.com

www.kirkpatrickguitar.com

www.guitarsint.com

www.dreamguitars.com

I've been dabbling in classical guitars for the last ten years or so. I like the older ones. It is amazing what age will do for the sound of a good classical guitar. I've gotten several new ones, but I've always wound up selling them in favor of the older ones. My personal faves are from Manuel Velazquez.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Those look nice.

What else is out there? I know about Rodriquez already (just saw they were bought by Fender... how disappointing).

5. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

This does pose a problem. Every classical I've ever played has been very different, but they all look just about the same on the outside. For the most part, the woods seem to be Spruce/Cedar and Rosewood, and that's about it. They all seem to be about the same size, use approximately the same woods, look very similar...

How does one shop for classical guitars online? :-\ This would definitely be impossible. Dozens of luthiers, all of their instruments look the same, are made of the same woods, etc... At the very least, EXTREMELY DIFFICULT!

6. riffmeister

tops are mostly: spruce & cedar

sides & back are mostly: Indian/Brazilian rosewood, maple, cypress for flamenco

*very* broadly speaking, there are two main types, Spanish inspired (Ramirez, Fleta) and German inspired (Hauser). The Spanish guitars have deeper bodies and tend to have bigger basses, the German guitars have shallower bodies and tend to be more 'balanced' with a brighter top end. Of course these are *VERY* broad generalizations.

A good medium price level luthier is Darren Hippner, and he will build in a variety of styles. But there are MANY choices out there, and it takes some time be become acquainted with what's available.

About buying online.....for me this is a nearly impossible task for ANY acoustic intrument. They are so individual......in sound and playability. The ONLY way I will do this is if the dealer has an approval period, usually 2-3 days. If you don't like, you can return for a full refund, but you pay shipping both ways. The BEST way is to get out there and try a bunch of guitars, see what you like, what floats your boat.

7. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I have a David Russell Young classical that I am looking to sell. The guitar was built in 1975--cedar top, Brazilian rosewood back and sides; Kasha bridge. It is a spectacular guitar, with great tone and playability; built by one of the most influential guitar builders in recent times.

[​IMG]
    If you're interested, send me an email and I'll send some more pictures. (Sorry about the broken string in the picture:jo)

Clem

p.s. It is also played on a recent double platinum album...so there is some good mojo attached.

8. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

http://www.lamancha.com/

If you're ever in Nashville, Jerry Roberts is great to deal with. I went there and spent about 2 or 3 hours trying a couple dozen guitars, old, new, name brand, "house brand", obscure. Finally settled on "the one" with the clearest voice and best balance that day. Happened to be a LaMancha Ruck-style, less than $2500, I forget exactly.
    Happy hunting!

Edit: I see the website doesn't have very recent dates posted--still worth an email to him, though, hopefully he's still at it.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

A big, big +1 on all this. In fact, if I were spending upwards of $2-$3K on a classical, I'd be willing to spend a little more and make a weekend trip to a major metropolitan area with a couple good dealers.

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm looking for a spruce top.

And yes, riffmeister, that's what I was saying. It seems the electric guitars aren't really that fine of an art compared to acoustics and classicals. You can look at a stock Suhr picture and pretty much tell what it's going to play and sound like. You won't have ANY idea what a stock picture of a Velazquez or Ramirez classical will sound like.

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I was hoping for from this thread. I was hoping people would point me in the direction of some great builders, but there are literally hundreds of brands guitars that I've seen just on the websites posted in this thread.

With electrics, I can just type in a few URLs and figure out what I want. I'm just going to have to take a serious roadtrip... unfortunately, I live in an area where there are no nice classical dealers.

12. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Rodrigo Moreira makes stunning classical guitars for what is a bargain price[in the scheme of the established concert standard classical market]. Two years ago I paid $2000 for one of his guitars [direct from him] with highly figured 'spider web' Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and mastergrade european Spruce top - french polish finish etc. Each one is hand made by Rodrigo himself (not a work shop as the majority of $1k - $4k tend to be). He learnt his craft from his grandfather and inherited his stock of extremely old and beautifully figured Brazilian Rosewood. More importantly is the quality of the workmanship and sound - very loud and even with bright trebles and a firm well founded bass. Although originally from Brazil, Rodrigo works out of Massachuset and I will highly recommend him to anyone in the market for a true conceret quality guitar. Also, when I purchased from him he offerred a full refund if the instrument was not exactly what I wanted and he followed up several times to ensure I was entirely happy.

rodrigomoreira2001@yahoo.com

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Larrivee originally made classicals and they still make a very nice all solid wood classical.
    http://www.larrivee.com/flash/products/guitars/LS-30/ls30.html
    http://www.larrivee.com/flash/products/guitars/LSV-30/lsv30.html

14. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, but I don't know about that. I love Larrivees, but I'd rather get something hand-made by one person who is a dedicated classical luthier, not by an acoustic company that just one day decided to make some classicals.

15. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying not to sound spamish like, but I can strongly encourage you to call my friend Manuel, link posted above. He builds everything from start to finish himself and comes from 3 generations of luthiers. I consider him one of my closest friends and if you would like to call me about him, that's cool too. BTW- he is currently living in the Nashville area.

Peace,
    Charlie

16. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I just checked the Classical Guitar Society. Closest one to me is Columbia, and that website is 2 years out of date and only talks about a few classical guitarists, not guitars.

I think you are giving some great advice. However, the $1500 suggestion won't fly. I'm actually a college student (music major at the College of Charleston). Money doesn't exactly grow on trees for me... $1500 on a "starter" classical means $1500 less to spend on my "real" classical.

I like your Ramirez suggestion. The 1A was actually the first classical I looked at (I began looking at classicals about 2 years ago). I will definitely look at those...

EDIT: Well, I guess I could sell it... but, I'd rather just get what I really wanted the first time.

17. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Wow, I thought I take a look and see how Moreira guitars are going and seems they are starting to fetch the prices that the craftmanship, sound and materials deserve:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/instock_moreira.htm#classicA

Also, he seems to have gone into making steel strung guitars as well. Reckon they would be cheaper buying direct, but I can attest that the guitar I have held it's own with a Herman Hauser III at a recent classical workshop I attended.

18. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Looking at the first acoustic listed by Moreira, does the string spacing look off to anyone else?

19. riffmeister

I'm looking at the shot of the headstock. All I can say is whomever strung that guitar did not do a very good job. The best way is to use as few wraps around the rollers as possible (nylon stretches!) and to have the strings with as little angle as possible between the nut and the roller.

It's hard to tell what the string spacing is.......it looks uniform to me.

20. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Are you talking about a classical or the acoustic? Either way, doesn't matter.