Clay Jones OD schematics?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blue_lu, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

I just read on the boards (after searching on the cjod), that clay jones himself planned (in 2005) to release the schematics of his infamous od-pedal... any word on the release yet?:AOK

And what does Clay Jones besides building ultra limited OD pedals? I googled but nothing really informative came up...:(

Later, Lu

2. raz

raz Member

Do a User Search on CS Jones here. You might be amazed.

3. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

I did - I read through most of the postings - what am I supposed to find?:confused:

4. raz

raz Member

Just some of the things he's up to, like you asked about...if you read the posts, then you've answered your second question. He's been reverse engineering the Bad Monkey, building cheap Danelectro effects into multi-fx pedalboards, etc.

5. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Oh sorry - I almost (well actually I did) forget that I asked about his other works... thanks for the heads up:jo

The Danelectro Multi looks cool - I wouldn't have a use for most of the effects since I'm just a funk/jazz/blues guy (not much more than a RMC, the emma filter and a barber DD - soon to be replaced by a zen - on my "board"). Looks fun to build though!

Let's hope Clay did not forget about his plans on sharing his OD secrets.:crazy

Later, Lu

6. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Clay sent me an email today and there's no plan on releasing the schematics any time soon. Although he did say feel free on buying one and destroying it in the name of science and all things unholy.
    Karma's gonna getcha' :)

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Not sure Karma is the right term. I mean, didn't the whole process of building and selling (then seeing the resale values skyrocket on the used market) sour Clay on the whole boutique building thing? Wouldn't he rather do something to get back to the "roots" of the whole idea for building the pedal in the first place?

Seems to me that releasing the schematics would allow those of us who DIY to build a really cool, sought after pedal, and would be total slap in the face to those selling the box for "unholy" prices. It would also instantaneously devalue the pedal, and make the rediculous prices that some people paid all for naught!

If it were released, i'd build one (or at least try to) for my own, personal use - and not have to pay the crazy prices. i assume Clay's initial goal was to produce a really great OD pedal, and the current prices and limited availability make owning one unfeasible for 99% of the guitar-playing, gear-loving population - which is sad. It wasn't like he intended to go out and make a huge profit like some other builders do and wouldn't lose any money (since he doesn't see a dime from the currently inflated prices anyways). I could, however, see some less-than-moral folks build and sell these for similarly insane prices as they currently go for, which would be the complete opposite of it's intention...

just my $0.02
    Brian

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

What type of OD is this anyway? I hope for those prices it's not just another TS variant!

:)

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more...before i bought one for an insane price :)

10. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

From what I've read it is THE smooth overdrive/dynamic pedal. I though a while ago he might consider making them again, that's why he didn't release the schematic. IMO he can do whatever he wants with the schematic. If he did release you know some other company would patent the design and start producing their CJOD clone and selling it for like $300. I did think it was pretty cheap in the way some people on Ebay sold the pedal for $700.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

I found something online, I can't vouch for it's authenticity obviously.. not the schematic of the CJOD though!

If anyone's interested PM me...

12. jhc

jhc Senior Member

13. exodus

exodus Member

14. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

IMO, he has a right to produce a certain number of new ones, he can do whatever he damn well wants to, he can even sell to Daphon or Zoom or whatever . . .

The principle of open-source DIY etc, is great but perhaps he needs some money and watched as the prices went up and up.

I just would like it if he happened to make more for a limited TGP crowd while I happen to be flush and searching for an OD, and, that he some how decides to give me a special deal cause I'm such a great guy ;)

15. landru64

landru64 Member

why does it have to be something new technologically to be worth something extra? that's such a narrow point of view. what if it had two parts in it from radio shack but sounded like the best thing you'd ever heard?

the CJOD is a great pedal. i guarantee (would bet money) it's not patentable; there are only so many ways to make waveforms clip and they've pretty much been found out by now. i would buy one again, for a reasonable price. i was able to get a landgraff DO to sound exactly the same. and i have golden ears, but at the right settings i couldn't tell the difference, in either feel or sound.

clay ought to just figure out if he wants to make more of them or not!! they're awesome and ought to be available!! my two cents....

16. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It apparently began as a compressor, so I'd say it's not a TS type circuit.

17. OOG

OOG Member

WRONG
    Clay "ought" to do whatever the hell he want's to do

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

Big +1
    This subject has been covered in full several times now. I would urge anyone who feels inclined to discuss this subject to first use the search tool to locate and read those threads to which member 'CS Jones' has posted. Most, if not all, of your questions will be answered in doing so.

19. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

What no one seems to understand is that, after building the circuit, Mr. Jones would spit 3 times upon the wires and transistors and capacitors and other things. It bottom line is that is not the electronic components that make his pedal great, it is his spit!!

To be real, he put his "baby" out on the market. A few (about 52) people jumped on what he was offering and "got Lucky". Some of them have since sold the pedal for unseemly profit. I say, good for everybody! I would love to have a CJ pedal. I have 4 children to raise and feed, so that option is closed to me - so what! I have been playing my guitar and making money at it for 30 years - without a CJ pedal! Would I have sounded better or played better with one! - quite possibly. But check this out, Jimmy and Jeff and Eric and Jimi and Stevie and Richie and Robin and Eddie and Steve and Eric and Eric and... well you get the idea, none of these guys played through a CJ pedal, and it did not hold them back. You can buy all the best amps and guitars and effects in the world, but it will not replace talent!

Sorry for the rant - I am just a guitar picker trying to get by - I would love to own a CJ pedal, but the world will not stop if I never get one. The CJ pedal will not give anyone a recording contract, it will not feed your children, and it will not give everyone world peace - its just a kick-ass pedal. I hope he releases the scematics - I would love to buy one - but all that belongs to him, and he gets to decide.... I have no problem with that...

20. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Now that would have made a great tGP logo / banner! If nothing else, that quote should at least be a disclaimer statement at the top of all of the emporium threads.:BEER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.