Clay Jones OD sound samples

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d l x r e v e r b, Feb 3, 2006.

1. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Clay OD sounds thin and fizzy to my ears. All those samples lack an bottom end, too much treble.

I'd rather have a Bad Monkey from experience I know it has some decent girth and warmth....ymmv

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

Sounds pretty compessed, but with some headroom... kind of a Larry Carlton sound to my ears. You aren't just hearing the OD, you are hearing the player and the speaker too...

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Not bad! The heavier tones almost sounded Fuzz like! Could be the clips but did not care for that tone but thanks for the link!

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Am I wrong if I say it basically sounds like a Tube Screamer? Because that's what I'm hearing....

6. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

A) I hope someone replies who can authenticate the accuracy of the sound samples.

B) I wonder why so few Clay Jones OD were ever made ? If he was unwiling or unable to create enough units to meet demand it seems as though he could have licensed the design to a manufacturer who would then include his personal name on the box , for instance "Clay Jones OD by Voodoo Lab" or some other reputable manufacturer. Mr. Dolby made easy profit by licensing Dolby B, Dolby C, etc noise reduction to consumer electronics manufacturers, and Linn drum machine was put into Akai products as I seem to recall. With Clay Jones OD so legendary it seems a candidate for licensing.

7. exodus

exodus Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but there were not any heavy CJOD tones--that was the Fuchs amp. I think the pedal was only used where stated, which all seemed to be low gain clips.

Besides that, I didn't think the tones were anything special. I'm sure it's a great pedal, but don't think those clips showed off what it can do. Who knows...

(the playing however, was very nice.:))

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Sorry i thought it was with the drive up high on the pedal, I guess I dont care for the Fuchs either then!

9. rewog

rewog Member

I think it's a bit hard to judge a pedal from a clip(s).
    There is no way of knowing if the amp, guitar or pedal was set to show off it's best attributes, and we all have different taste anyway.
    Then you have to contend with how it was recorded, and the computer speakers.
    There are many here with great ears who have claimed that the CJOD is awesome, and that's enough to convince me.

10. drolling

drolling Member

I assumed that he's kicking the CJOD in for the saturated passages in that 1st clip.. All that sustain and extra harmonic content sure sounded like an OD to me..

11. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Muddy.......Very cool. What else was in the chain?

12. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

This subject has been beat to death on TGP.

Allow me to summarize: No good deed goes unpunished.

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

Indeed. A search of this forum for related threads will answer any question one might have about this pedal and/or the builder.

Muddy - great sounds as always. I really dig your playing!

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The CJOD clips by Tomo are only one small facet of the tones you can get from the CJOD, and are not representative of it's full capacities. They are related to Tomo's style which is a bit laid back on those clips - more finess type playing. The CJOD can really scream in a very natural, uncompressed way - very amp like and very detailed on low strings, even with the neck pickup.

15. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

16. drolling

drolling Member

From everything I've read here, I was under the impression that it was Tomo's use of the CJOD that started the frenzy...

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yes. People heard him using it at a NY tone fest and that's what started it. I saw/heard him use it at NAMM last year too. To be honest, I wasn't that taken by it when I heard it at NAMM, but when I got one to test, I discovered there was a whole lot more tone lurking inside. Muddy's clips are another example of what can be done, and are more in line with how I use it.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have #20:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14983171

This is a great sounding pedal using a humbucker guitar and a Germino amp!!!

Read my review:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=126852&highlight=cjod

:AOK

P.S. In my dealings with Clay while this pedal was being built, he certainly came across as being a real decent human being. Thanks, Clay!!

19. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I wasnt impressed. Anyway, whats the big deal. You cant buy one, and the clips from the first samples sounded weak.