Clayjones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have about 5 CJ pedals and I ....

j/k These CJ seem more difficult to get than the KOT. Why are the CJ pedals not made anymore? If it is a great pedal why isn't being made anymore?

2. fatback

fatback Member

You can search on Clay Jones to get the story, but I'll try to sum it up;

At a tonefest last year, fellow GP'ers heard Tomo play through an o.d. box that Clay made him. Clips were posted, people raved, and the legend began. Clay never wanted to be a pedal manufacture. It was only after the constant hounding of the peanut gallerey here that he relented and agreed to make a ONE TIME ONLY run of 50 pedals. The waiting list was filled up in less than a week. Clay busted his butt, got through the run, and managed to hold onto his sanity dealing with the bunch of impatient, hyper obsessed, gear-hounds that tend to go after these things, (myself included). ;) Clay did a group of TGP members a big favor making those fifty pedals. From what I understand, Clay still loves to tinker, but he's done with manufacturing runs of pedals.

I like my CJ pedal a lot, but I'll let you in on a little secret...

(It's just an O.D. box.)

It's not some magic wand that can sprinkle Dumble dust on you and your amp. The CJ OD a very good quality overdrive with it's own voice, but in my opinion, there is really no point in getting hung up on one when there are so many other cool o.d. pedals with distinct personalities out there that are readily available without the /unobtainiun/ price:

Timmy
    Zen Drive
    Eternity
    Dual-Drive
    Fish Factory

etc...

3. Cary Chilton

THanks for that!

I have a Tim on the way and looking into the zendrive, bjf pedals, and a fish factory. I love my mjm blues devil.

ps how does the clay jones compare with a landgraff?

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Use the friggin' search engine, man. Term: CJOD. Been talked to death already.

5. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Must be one of the ones who didn't get a pedal... sore mangina! hahahaha

6. drolling

drolling Member

Couldn't agree with you less. Fatback's post brings a refreshiing perspective to the notion that some arcane construct could end any player's search for the ultimate tone.

I'm wondering how many of these electric, eclectic little boxes are still in the hands of their original owners.

How many of the chosen few who said they'd never, ever part with their CJOD have succumbed to the allure of the dollars they're drawing on the used market.

7. Cary Chilton

thank you.

The SEARCH engine doesn't always tell me what I am wanting to know, usually 1 out of 5 threads are crashed and mutated into something rather stupid from the original question or idea....

8. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I'm still diggin' mine!

9. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

You people are weird...

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

You have about 5 CJOD pedals? Wow, so many you've even lost an accurate count? :)
    Greg

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

LOL couldn't be farther from the truth. I was on the original list of 50, and through that, got to know & converse with a great person in Clay. He's truly one of the good ones, and that counts for far more than any pedal.

12. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'm still very happy with mine.

Fatback's comments ring true with me as well. The CJOD really is just another overdrive pedal. I happen to think it's an exceptional OD pedal but I like the Hermida Zendrive and Love Pedal Eternity just as well. No one OD pedal will suit every player. The CJOD won't appeal to everyone.

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very true - Clay is a great guy and it was a pleasure corresponding with him! Makes the CJOD that much more enjoyable. :)

14. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Through corresponding with Clay I found him to be an affable character. Makes know difference though... whether he was a jerk or a nice guy.... the pedal is very high quality. The sound is quite unique and if somebody wants to post for a bit of info and you think its a run topic... DON'T RESPOND. Save your 2 cents. The oiginal post asked a meager question... humor the man a bit and don't be a dick. This ain't "The Gear Page"... post something about gear, unless I think it's you should be "in the know".

Georgeandleo... pay know mind to the "old guard", some of them forget what its like on bottom.;)

Peace out, homies!