Clayton Picks anybody?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Speed_Racer71, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

anybody use the reg acetal clayton picks?
    reg plastic (or whatever they are made of) picks seem to slide out of my fingers a lot so lately im using Dunlop tortex picks. they seem to be ok. i tried the Gators but didnt know they are smaller (from top to bottom) than the tortex so i didnt like that . how are the Claytons when it comes to sliding around? im thinking of getting some of the acetal ones and the ones with the shark grip when i do another musicians fiend order but wanted some info before i order a bunch of them or drive all over town trying to find some.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Clayton-Acetal-Standard-Picks?sku=110419

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Claytons have a good grip like the Dunlop Tortex, I prefer the Dunlop though because the Clayton picks sound a lot brighter.

3. Ocean

Ocean Member

Clayton's are all I'll play for acoustic. Great tone and a noticeable improvement to my ears over Fenders, Dunlops, etc. No grip issues either...

4. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I use them and I think they sound and feel great. I use the standard shape like those pictured in the link, but those gauges are all way too light for me. I like either the 1.52mm or the 1.90mm - but they can be difficult to find.

5. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I love Clayton acetal picks. They sound really good, with clean note articulation and balance, and they grip in your fingers pretty well.

These Small Teardrop ones have pretty much ruined me on any other kind of pick.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Clayton-Acetal-Small-Teardrop-Picks?sku=110402

Any kind of fast picking, scale playing, palm mute riffing-type stuff; these are what I use. The 1.00mm are the perfect size, thick, but not too inflexible. I've tried Dunlop Jazz IIIs and they're good, but a little to fat and stiff.

More and more, I've started using the Standard size .63 and .80 for the more strummy, acoustic type of thing. They work just as well as Fender lights and mediums, but grip better.

I really wish picks could morph between the Standard .63 and the Small Teardrop 1.00 mm sizes automatically. What a rhythm and lead combo that would make! Maybe someday we'll see brain controlled nano pick technology!

My recommendation: Go to your local guitar store and spend $5 on picks, buying all different kinds. I probably have 30 different sizes and shapes at home. Get a thumbpick, or two; especially a thinner Herco. There is some really cool stuff out there and picks are a cheap and easy way to try something new.

6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Long time Clayton pick user here - 1.52mm in the std shape.

7. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

thanks for the feedback. does Guitar Center sell Claytons? cant remember if they do or not

8. Cory

Cory Guest

I've been using Clayton's for nearly 10 years....I think. I LOVE em! They became REALLY hard to find around where I live. The last few years I couldn't find them around here anymore and ended up buying a gross of them. I like them a lot. The grip is great and I don't notice any brightness to mine.....but I play with the picks backwards. They tend to last a long time as well. I hope they won't stop making them!

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

The 1.0MM Dunlop Tortex were my personal favorite for a while I found myself dropping them allot especially after playing on one for an hour all the powder wore off and I'd just drop them left and right.

Then I found Claytons! which I think could be the best pick available. The 1.26MM Large Rounded triangle stays powdery/grippy longer its not as easy to drop. They are tough to find but fortuneately I can get them through where I work by the bag for $20-30 for 72. Not many music shops have their product on hand these days, I dunno why- the extra .05 per pick is really worth it!

OT- Has anyone tried their slides? There nice and thin, and the edges are rolled nicely..

10. fuzz_factor

11. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Yes, they sell them in store.

I stole one from GC a couple years back (oops!), and I haven't used any other pick since.

I use .63 for acoustic, 1.00 for electric. Best picks ever.

12. fuzz_factor

Best pick gauges ever, too!

13. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Really? I went from the green Tortex to the Clayton 1.26 because I thought they sounded fatter, but still with some edge. No amount of gentle sanding of the edges of the Tortex could eliminate the fundamental 'ping' IMHO. Clayton all the way.

14. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Bar none... IMHO- V-picks kill everything else out there.

15. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

I use the 1 MM Dorito shaped Claytons they totally changed how I play the guitar. Before there was no dynamics or attack in my picking

16. Zillie

Zillie Member

do you mean delrin or grip picks?

17. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

i cant believe the first place i hit today (which is a little hole in the wall shop) had some Clayton acetals in 80mm which is what i wanted. grabbed a few of the Dunlop Ultex which i wanted to try as well. never thought id see a 2 pager on picks ha! :dude

18. fuzz_factor

Cheaper way of trying something new than buying a Klon!

19. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Long time Clayton Ultem pick abuser here. Not too crazy about the acetal picks, but they'll work in a pinch.

20. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I like Claytons.
    You might want to also check out some Juratex Cool Picks.
    They definitely won't slip out of your hand.