Clayton Ultem vs Gravity picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by levous, Feb 13, 2012.

1. levous

levous Member

Hey y'all,

I just received my Clayton Ultem .80 picks from Amazon and pit one against the Gravity picks sample I've had for a few weeks. The Ultems are a little more shimmery when playing chords strumming the highest two strings. The Gravity picks are slightly darker but way more attack, strong bass, much cleaner and significantly faster. They make the Ultems sound muted and thin.

The Ultem picks have a scratchy tone when compared to the Gravity picks. I played the Ultems first and felt they were a very nice feeling pick with a good tone and they are easy to hang on to.

Then I played the Gravity picks, starting with the .75 but also comparing the 1.0. Both allowed me to strum with more precision resulting in more speed on fast strums as well as faster alternate picking. I doubted the thick, rigid acrylic pick was going to even make it past the strings on a heavy strum but it just glides over the strings.

Upon inspection of both picks, it seems the Ultems have a flat edge where the Gravity picks have a smooth, beveled edge. I am going to try to "burn" a bevel into an Ultem pick to see if I can get more glide. Anyone ever tried this?

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to grab the Claytons and rock out. They are a fine pick and any noticeable flaws in the mix will be my playing, not the pick. Furthermore, I could toss these picks into the crown without a second thought - they're as cheap as the bra-flinging girls in the front row. ;)

Given the choice, however, the Gravity picks are far superior and worth the investment to have a couple on hand.

2. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

The Dunlop Ultex picks are the same material as the Ultem, but have a rounded edge. I don't think I'd try to burn a bevel into the Ultem's, but I have rounded them using a fine file or fine sand paper and then using one of those really fine 3M pads that work like steel wool to polish them. Though, I must say that comparing the rounded Ultex with the Gravity picks, I personally still preferred the Gravity picks.