Clean amp for a blackface tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tovaldi, Dec 19, 2005.

1. tovaldi

tovaldi Member

See if I can get a little advice and information. I´m looking for a nice clean amp that will do nice blackface tones.
    I currently own a Deville but IMO it lacks clarity and definition and I can´t get any decent tones out of the gain channel.
    I recently tried a deluxe reverb reissue but I didn´t find it a big improvement over my Deville. It sure was better but I still found it a bit dull and bright.
    I´ve narrowed the search to a Carr Rambler. I´ver read a lot of good reviews. Could this be the amp I´m looking for? It seems to accept pedals very well. Does it have a good tone at lower volumes? Does it stay clean or does it break up at low volumes? I´ve also read good things about the Fargen Blackbird and Allen amps.
    I can´t try any of those amps since there isn´t a local dealer that has them available.
    Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Allen does blackface as well as anybody... including Leo Fender. The Old Flame would be a great choice.

Carr Ramblers are sweet amps. I'd love to have one, but I wouldn't call it a "blackface amp" per se... more of a hybrid.

Early silverface Supers and Twins are still available for reasonable prices. This can be a good way to go if you're willing to spend some time and money with a good amp tech.

3. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

If you don't mind the weight, try a Super reverb reissue. Should satisfy anyone in need of a blackface tone. Great amp!

4. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

How much clean headroom do you want/need?

Dan

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Look at Tone King while you are at it...

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

For modern Blackface sounds, I love my Tone King Meteor II.

Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, awesome Tremelo, and ...

The great 3 knob reverb (actually 4 knob - there's a seperate return for each channel)

To my ears, it sounds like a cool BF Pro ... and I OWN a BF Pro.

My .02

Dana

PS - I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I'm very satisfied with my Tone Kings. Ch.2 has great Tweed/ Marshall tones too.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Carr Rambler is very pro blackface but can get tweedy, so best of both worlds. The Fargen Blackbird is amazing deluxe reverb blackface. Both are thick and sweet. The reverb & tremolo on the Carr is killer!

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

this may be too late, or perhaps just not what you wanted to hear...

have you considered speaker swaps for your deville? I've been playing around with speakers a lot over the last year, and found they make a huge difference.

if the deluxe reverb isn't any better (being an actual clone of a blackface circuit)- there's a chance it's just the stock speaker in it being kinda crappy.

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

"Headstrong" is building some amps that are pretty spot on blackface Fender too. Oh and don't forget Fargen.

I'd still rather find an original and fix it up though. Guaranteed to appreciate in value.

Dan

10. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

You might want to try a Heritage Patriot. It is like a Twin but lower wattage and therefore breaks up at somewhat reasonable levels. Some of the other guys on the forum may chirp here that have tried one.

I just got one but I have not had time to get it past 3 on the dial (not 3 o'clock).
    :BEER

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Since you say that you don't have any local dealers, I'd recommend that you buy from a dealer with a good return policy. Alternatively, buy used so that you can flip it if it isn't what you want.

I love the Rambler. For a guitar -> cord -> amp player that likes a clean sound it is a phenomenal amp. The trem and reverb are very nice. However, I don't think it takes OD/distortion pedals particularly well. I think it has a wonderful tone at lower volumes, as well as loud volumes. It doesn't break up much at all until it is quite loud, especially if you are using single coil pickups.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

BRUNO COWTIPPERS

Im a clean Fender maniac. The Brunos are incredible. I sold my 66 Super reverb. My 66 Pro and vibrolux never get played anymore. The Brunos just sound way better. An entire step up from any of the other Fender style boutiques I have heard.

Bruno Cowtipper 45 clip clean.

http://www.brunoamps.com/sweet2.ram

With Fulldrive II http://www.brunoamps.com/sound2.ram

Here are some of the amps I have owned and A\b d with the Brunos. The Brunos have smoked all of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Hands down I'd go with the Meteor II. I have tried all mentioned and nothing does BF Fender tone like the Meteor II. The lead channel is incredible as well. One of my alltime favorite amps.

Chuck

14. Kooper

Kooper Guest

Allen does a great job at the BF sound with some added options.IMO if ya want Bf tone if its an option buy a Bf Fender amp,or an early SF Fender and mod it ,most of the time in the earlier ones its just a matter of getting rid of a few suppressor caps,cleaning-up some lead dress,most compatent amp tech's could deal with at not a high cost.