Clean "amp in a pedal" options

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Ashley, May 31, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I'm almost done building my new pedal board for fly out dates. I'm basing it around the new Tech 21 character series pedals. I'm using the British for crunch, the California for lead, and was planning on picking up the Blonde for a Fender clean sound. I already have the Brit and Cali models, but unfortunately, these pedals are totally unavailable until the end of July, which is too late for me. My fly outs start in mid july.

I know there are lot of "plexi in a box" type pedals, but besides the Boss Fender Deluxe pedal, what other options exist for a nice clean amp in a pedal form?

Just in case I don't get lucky and score a used Blonde pedal on ebay, I'd like to have a backup plan...Thanks!

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Lovepedal Super 6.

There's one for sale in the Emporium that I have no affiiation with.

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I like the idea of that Super 6 pedal. Their aren't a whole lot of cleanish amp-in-a-box pedals. Try Menatone. They do amp tone pedals, rather than OD/distortion ones.
    My amp in a box pedal is my Throbak Overdrive Boost. But that also has a lot of fuzz/OD flavors in it. Great pedal though.

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Are you going direct, or using an amp? No pedal will get you a great clean sound unless your amp has a great clean sound. You shouldn't need a pedal for "clean", if you use an amp.

5. Alter

Alter Member

how about an older sansamp model - buy it used, and sell it when you get the blond(e) .. :D

6. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

How do the British and California sound?
    I'm planning something along your lines, and will be playing direct through the P.A. Can you put other pedals like boosters, etc.in fromt of them and use them like an "amp"? That's what I'd like to do ;)

7. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

This is what I'm wondering.

If an amp is involved in this setup I'm truly lost.

8. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

9. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Thanks for the posts and the ebay link! I did end up scoring a Blonde pedal today. I haven't received any of the pedals yet, so I can't give any impressions on them, but I'll post some thoughts when they arrive.

Most of the time, I plan on running the pedals into the "pwr amp in" on provided backline amps when I do fly outs, although sometimes I may have to go direct, so that's why I'm looking at these types of devices. Line6 and Tonelabs are out. I've used them before and they just don't sound very good. I get a pretty usable sound running the preamp out of my Tech21 Trademark 10 into tube power amps/cabinets, so I'm hoping the pedals take it up a notch.

I did email with Lloyd at Tech 21, and he informed me that these pedals were developed with new circuitry from the ground up, and are not just a rehash of the old Tech 21 tweed, british, and california circuits. If all works out, I should have a great, lightweight, 100% analog pedalboard that I can carry on aircraft, and basically get a fairly consistent tone where ever I go.