Clean amp owners, what distortion/drive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    What do you guys who own really clean amps, like Fenders, use for distortion? What would be good to give a Twin Reverb RI some classic rock to hard rock type distortion? Does'nt need to be perfect just passable and decent sounding. I already have a TS9 for blusey stuff, Timmy on order, and I'm just looking for something to cover some ground with If I only have one amp available.

Thanks!:dude

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Ok here's the secret recipe.
    Compressor for boosts (set mild)>Bad Monkey (light OD)>TS10 (mid od)>Korg ax1500g (for everything else including fx, lightest crunch and heavy OD).

Much tweaking was required to throw out the bad stuff, but I can set up in front of any clean amp, set my clean tone and my board sounds close enough if I just pick what I need. Everything is based on a great clean (patch) tone, effectively bypassing the Korg for normal amp tone of the host amp.

I expect a Vox Tonelab SE would be even better, with more options and access.

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

Barber Direct Drive. An extremely versatile pedal. It's very reasonably priced and sounds great.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Vintage Rat.

Loudboy

5. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Emma Reezafratzitz.

6. jero

jero Member

BJF Baby Blue OD:)

7. rabbit

rabbit Member

T-rex Mudhoney for the Twin Reverb RI!!!

8. erksin

erksin Member

Wait for your Timmy...

Stack the TS-9 in front of it - you'll have 3 different OD tones...

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'll second the Reezafratzitz for your high-gain / "distortion" fix that you're looking for. A TS-9 and a Timmy aren't going to get you there.
    Re: getting your classic rock / hard rock tones in a pedal (leaving stacking out for now), the AC and BB pedals from Xotic would work for that.

-Ben

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

RAT, V-Stack Classic, V-Stack Tweedy, Xotic BB, Hermida Mosferatu and Zendrive, OCD, Eternity........... :rolleyes: They're all great, great lead pedals. :)

jon

11. 6789

6789 Member

Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive into a Timmy.
    [​IMG]

12. journo

journo Member

Hi,

On my pedalboard I have a Zoom PD-01 for clean boost, TS-9 reissue for low gain OD, Tonebone Classic for medium gain, Maxon SD-9 for lead dist and Marshall Jackhammer for "heavey" dist. The only thing I don't have is a Zendrive (which is on order) that will give me "that" sound. I will have to decide which pedal will come off my board to make space for the Zendrive. Jackhammer or SD-9. The Tonebone does a very good SD-9 style dist so probably the SD-9.

Then of course you can run any or all of the above in combinations for even more flavours.

I run my board into a 6L6 amp set clean. Works great!

Cheers,

Mats N

13. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

For low to medium gain

Fulldrive 2
    Keeley modded Sparkledrive

for medium to high gain

Menatone KOTB
    Ibanez Tube King

into either an AC-15 or JTM 45 both run clean.

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Tonebone Classic, all the way

15. SteveR

SteveR Member

TIM into AC boost.

TIM set for light. AC boost set for medium. TIM (w/ internal boost on) into AC boost for heavy.

Steve

16. drolling

drolling Member

All of mine are old school single channel tune amps (Fender/Vox) without mid controls or master volumes. It's the only way I've ever been able to get a decent clean sound, and I've yet to come across a pedal that does a credible imitation of the built-in trem & reverb circuits in these old dinosaurs.

Most of these amps are also maited to power attenuators (mainly HotPlates) that I leave at the lowest (-4dB) setting mainly to get rid of audible hum, hiss & RF interference.

For OD, I'm currently using (in descending order, gain-wise) an Eternity, a Zendrive & a Honeybee (not necessarily stacked, and not always in that order.

Having lots of luck w/boosters as well, for adding finesse to some pretty gnarly tones; these would be a SeaBlue EQ and an RC Booster, placed at any point in the chain that gives me the best results. That seems to change from guitar to guitar - amp to amp not to mention time of day.

This has been an ongoing quest for me, as I've yet to try an amp that delivers both a great clean AND distorted tone (excepting my buddy's LoneStar short head w/Avatar cab).

The pedals that the new crop replaced being a Vox Valvetone, MJM BluesDevil, Boss OD3/BD2, Reverend DriveTrainII, and most recently, a siler mod LTD.

I've had the pleasure of playing thru' some of the best high-gain amps out there, and as much as I've enjoyed the experiences, I prefer to build on a great clean sound w/a few choice pedals than to lug 2 or 3 amps around to get all the sounds I need.

There's NEVER been a better time for guitarists looking to finesse their tried-and -true rigs w/the abundance of tone-shapers out there now. Can be confusing & expensive, too, but the rewards of the reseach are well worth it!

17. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Hello can someone please tell me what the "tim" or "timmy" is? I got a tonebone classic on my twin, but I'm hearing alot about this tim thing. thanks

Nevermind answered my own question by looking through the threads! thanks

18. drolling

drolling Member

Uh, yeah, sure. Most players here already seem to have one or, like me, have one on the way.

The TIM is a clean boost /OD pedal & Timmy is a smaller, stripped down version that just has the OD (which , as I understand it, can also be set for a gritty boost).

These are all hand made by Paul Cochrane in Tennessee. You have to order direct from him, and there's currently a fairly long waiting list.

Don't have his number handy, but if you do a search, you'll find it all over this page. Look for his phone number only, as he does not respond to e-mails. Best time to call him is after 7PM central on a weeknight.

19. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Wow there is SOO much info here on the gear page on these, they must be great. Anyone have one of these hooked up to a Twin/blackface amp?

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I use several gtrs through either a modded Bassman or a deluxe reverb. Here are the pedals I use or have tried.

Boss BD-2: Low gain rhythm OD. Very transparent in the midrange but WAAAY too fizzy and unnatural overall. Will be replaced by a Timmy.

Digitech bad monkey: Does the tubescreamer thing better than any Ibanez TS I have tried. I mainly use this for bluesy leads on the neck pickup of my strat or tele. Too much midrange for rhythm work to my ears.

Zendrive: Its on the way and will most likely replace the Monkey as my blues lead pedal.

Rat: GREAT for Hi gain leads. Too fizzy for rhythm work.

Boss OD-3: Very transparent midrange but a little loose and woofy in the bass. Sort of like a more natural sounding BD-2 with more balls. Pretty good Classic Rock rhythm OD

Tech 21 Double drive: The best Marshall in a Box I have found in my limited search. It does a true clean boost (its a separate circuit not just the OD with the gain turned down) up to unmusical amounts of gain.

Zoom PD-01: great, cheap and discontinued boost/OD pedal with bass/treble knobs. Like the Tech 21 this pedal has a dedicated Boost circuit which is very good. The OD side is similar to a Boss SD-1 (Like a TS with harsh treble) and just as useless to my ears.

Barber DD: Good rock OD but much too compressed sounding for me. Very little in the way of dynamics and as a result sounds a bit "small" and constricted. Lost out when compared to the Double Drive which was more open and dynamic.

Barber Silver LTD: Really good low-medium gain OD. Not as transparent in the mids as the BD-2 but flat enough for rhythm work while also adding enough mids for solos that jump out at you. The SLTD has a really open quality due to its fantastic dynamic response and gritty (not harsh) voicing.