Clean Amp to Compliment Cranked AC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bscepter, May 15, 2006.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I'm considering getting another amp to A/B with my Valvetech Hayseed 30 (AC30 clone), and I need some advice from my TGP brethren.

I play the Hayseed pretty much cranked through a pair of Celestion Blues, and it sounds amazingly cool. My main guitar is a Gibson SG Standard with a BurstBucker Pro in the bridge.

In order to get a sparkling, chimey clean sound that would be as loud as a cranked AC30, would I have to get something like a 100w Hiwatt or 120w Sound City? Would an 80w Tweed Twin do the trick? How 'bout a BF or SF Twin? I'd like to get clean, even with my guitar volume all the way up.

2. Jonster

Jonster Member

I've done this with an AC30 and a BF Twin, sounded KILLER!!!!

Fender and Vox, blended, really a no loose situation. Good blend with voicings, because you can scoope the Fender a bit for that Blackface chime, and let the AC do its mid-rich thing. Just hope you have a strong back!

:D

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

You ain't kidding... Thanks for the info. You can still get SF twins pretty cheap these days, yes? I could then have it "blackfaced."

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I bf'd my 1970 Twin years ago , and it really didn't make much of a difference at all. I did it myself and used all the vintage old resisters , caps...EVERY SINGLE TWIN I've ever heard was way different though , so maybe it makes a good deal more impact on some than others.. Anyway , if the Hayseed on 10 is actually as loud as a Vox AC30 on 10 you'd need something like a Twin or Hiwatt. Both are great choices. Have fun!!

ERIC

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Yep, it's that loud. Thanks!

BTW, what about a Sound City, old Traynor or a Sunn or something a little less well-known?

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

All of the above are fine. All of the 60's models and early 70's were loud as hell and relatively clean . PERsonally with that VOX sound , I Love HIwatt or Orange myself! I have an Orange or120 that is very very loud and clean and gorgeous sounding... ANother amp to look into for great loud cleans were the AMPEG V4's or V2's or their Vt22,etc combo equivalents

ERIC

7. Jonster

Jonster Member

Eric,

Good call on the Ampeg, I always forget about those amps, and they are killer as well. BC, yes you can Blackface a SF Twin, but I agree, the difference is more legend than audible fact. ;)

I have been a long time user of SF & BF amps, and the two BEST souding amps I have had, one I still do, a 73 Deluxe Reverb, sound better than their BF counterparts. (to me, that is).

A nice SF Twin can be had for a relatively low price these days, or the Ampeg V for even less. A re-cap may be in order, and a re-tube, but those old Fenders are just the ###t in my book, and reliable as hell. The main reason I had the Twin in tandem w/ the Vox was so if the Vox went down, and it did 3x!..........I had an instant back-up.

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Good advice from Eric. The old Ampeg V-series have tremendous cleans, as do the others he mentioned. Another great relatively inexpensive way to go is the Super Reverb reissue. Tremendous cleans, lots of low end to compliment the Hayseed's midrangey/top-end grind.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

I like the Ampeg idea a lot. Since we're blue-skying a bit here, what about an SVT driving a 4x12 (loaded with Fanes or something that could take the power)?

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Never heard one through Fanes. Seems like it might sound great though. The SVT is insanely loud. Hell, the V4 is too, but not quite as insane. That would get you plenty of headroom, if that's what you're looking for, BTW. If you'd prefer a combo, the VT-22 is basically the same amp in a 2x12 combo format. But very heavy.

11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I had an SVT for years, when I did a lot of bass gigs. It was not a very satisfying guitar amp, really pillowy, sort of vague sounding and not complimentary to the guitar, but at least it was heavy and difficult to lift:D . But I also had Oranges back then, 200 w. Matamp and 100 w. Matamp, and those were much faster and tighter, and detailed where I wanted, with loads of bottom, not as much as the SVT. The Oranges would actually begin to break up a little bit, at a livable volume, the SVT? I never had the courage to let it have it's way with my speakers.

If you're diggin the cranked A.C. 30, and who wouldn't!, I would humbly suggest the Hotplate, which can bring that pig down into a reasonable area of volume. This is exactly what my brother uses. The A.C. 30 re-issue he runs, when cranked, un-attenuated, can easily rattle every window in my entire house simultaneously. Once attenuated, however, it will scale with all sorts of 40-50 watt Fender derived amps, like Bassmans, or Pro-reverb, Super Reverb, etc, or the guitar oriented Ampegs. When you combine amps, monitor your polarity, some rigs push and some pull. Multi amp rigs work much better with everything firing in sync.

Trust me, I would never move an SVT only for the tone, I'd do it for money, but it's got to be over 80 pounds. I never weighed mine but it dented every surface it encountered for the most part, including my shins and ribs etc..

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've owned a '66 Twin Reverb, a 1970, a 1971 and a Blackface reissue. Before you blackface an early 70's Twin (non-master volume version), listen to it. You may prefer it's sound to the blackface. My 1971 sounded better than any of them.

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

Cool. Somebody mentioned the Super Reverb reissue. Is that around 60w or so? Wouldn't it break up too soon for my needs?

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Where do you play that you can crank an AC30 (Hayseed 30) without an attenuator?

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

Most of our shows. Loud drummer... :Spank

For smaller shows, I engage the 1/2 power switch, taking two of the EL84s out of the equation. Though this only drops the volume by 3dB, technically. I mean, it's loud -- but I wouldn't say it's ungodly loud.

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

I agree; the early SF Twins have their own thing that is great, if setup well,
    with good tubes.

17. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

I run mine in stereo with a tube rectified '67 Marshall 50 watt that is not overly dirty sounding. It's closer to a JTM45. I run it through a 2 x 12 bassman cab loaded with one V 30 and one rola greenback. I use a hotcake to give the Vox more snarl. It's a great combo.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

That sounds like 'the' combo, to me; an incredible stereo setup !

Is the '67 a JTM50(tube rectified) ?

19. myles111

myles111 Member

Agreed .... This is actually 1/2 of Carl Verheyen's rig .... www.carlverheyen.com

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

It's rated at either 40 or 45 watts, and yes, it would probably break up too early for your needs, though a lot would depend on the output of the specific power tubes, bias setting, etc...