clean amp with pedals.. or high gain amp..HELP.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brilliantmissta, Oct 13, 2006.

1. brilliantmissta

brilliantmissta Member

I play rock music.
    Nothing tooo heavy.. but the guitars all distorted for the most part with a good amount of gain...

i've owned a VHT Pitbull, A Zinky Superfly, Zinky Mofo, Splawn Quickrod, Line 6 Vetta 2 and a bunch more...

The VHT was probably my favorite but none of the amps have ever made me super happy in a live situation..

Does anyone here take a clean amp (Matchless, Fender Vibroking..) that have awesome clean tones... and put pedals in front to take them to that full on saturated sound or is that just pointless?

that is my next step i guess.. i've wanted a vibroking forever because of the amazing tone from the basic amp..
    i'm just worried when i get in a situation with my band.. it's not going to sound as pretty as i hoped with it all dirtied up..

any opinions?:confused:

thanks!

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the vibroking has pretty decent grit when wound up and nice touch response so it cleans up nicely when U back off on the attack/guitar volume. not a big fan of the clean amp/dirt pedal sound. but an amp like the vibroking wound out (a hotplate to cut the volume by 4/8 dB may be in order) and controlling the clean/crunch from the guitar and a dirt pedal to push things even more (TS9/eternity/CJOD would do nicely) is my fave way of solving that problem.

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Clean amp with pedals is what David Gilmour does, as do many others. Matchless is great. What you want to do is find a clean amp that is as huge sounding as possible. I always liked a Hiwatt or new Reeves for this. A Plexi-style amp is good as well. Check out the 50 or 100 watt Germinos for instance. Then just choose from the plethora of fine stomp boxes out there for the distortion or overdrive sound you want. :RoCkIn

4. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Another vote for a clean amp & pedals.

Most, if not all, high gain(channel switcher) heads that I've tried/owned/heard have not came close to a good single channel clean amp when it comes to getting a "great" clean sound.

If you start with a great clean base, you can always switch/mix/layer overdrive/distortion pedals to fit your mood. If you bought a high gain head, you stuck with whatever flavor gain it comes with.

I'm running my Overbuilt Fiscus (clean amp) with a Xotic BB, FT OCD, and a Bad Cat Xtreme Tone and I can get anything from blues grit, fusion sustain, and all the way up to full on metal/shred tones. To top it all off, I have one of the best clean tones known to man.

Find a good solid clean amp that tickles you in the right way and go pedal shopping.

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Soldano SLO 100 /thread

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

BRUNO UNDERGROUND 30 AND A FULLDRIVE II OR MUDHONEY.

You will have the best tones possible to these ears. Let me known where are playing and I will come down and listen just to enjoy the tone from heaven.
    :dude

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I have to disagree. I had a 65 super, 66 pro, and a 50 watt jmp, and now have a fargen epic 30. They sound good, even great with pedals, but now I find myself realizing that the power and punch of a good high gain marshall, mesa, soldano, etc. is more favorable to me for hard rock than a pedal pushing a clean amp.

I admit my crunch box through a nice clean amp gets close, but to my ears there's no substitute for a really good high gain amp.

Obviously people like David Gilmour, the edge, etc. would disagree with me.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

What is it about those amps that you did not like?

9. albuht813

albuht813 Member

i've got a bad cat hot cat 30R. Great cleans and gain sounds.

I used to have a fender twin reverb and dirt boxes. I was never satisfied with the overdrive and distortion because it still had a feeling of imitation...it just wasn't quite there. Check out Badcats in your area. Very nice amps.

10. enditol

enditol Member

Guys like the Edge and Gilmour have great tone but they aren't really doing anything too heavy as far as palm mutes etc. That's why there's still a lot of companies trying to master the great clean and great overdrive channel switcher. If you haven't already check out Diezel, Bogner, Suhr...

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Would you guys consider a Bad Cat customshop a/b 50 one of the high gain ones??? or a Matchless indipendence?

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Never met a channel switcher that really did it for me. I don't do metal, but for hard rock a pair of drive pedals gets me there. Millions of combinations depending on the clean amp (my Vox likes my Zendrive/Mosferatu combo, Fenders like Zim/Burn Unit, Marshalls Blackstone/Burn Unit).

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Tag,

I agree. You need to try the UG30 with a MI Audio Crunch Box or a TIM as well. Just incredible! The only thing I would caution Brilliantmista on, is that the UG30 really does not have much pure clean headroom, so if that is a priority, then there are better amps for the job.

B

14. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I love Vibro-Kings. (I have a `93 and an `03.) They'll go from purr to growl with nothing more than a change in picking-hand attack. And they're an incredible deal on the used market; the going price seems to be right around $1,200. (I got my `93 for a lot less than that.)

You may or may not need a Hot Plate depending upon how hard you want to push the amp and how loud you need to be. The VK's speakers are less efficient than those used in many other guitar amps, so the amount of sound is closer to what you'd expect from a thirty-watt amp.

If you need a really clean tone at really high sound levels, the VK will disappoint you. That's the main reason people seem to flip VKs.

I've written a bunch of articles about the VK; do a search on my web site (link in .sig, below).

There's also a huge body of knowledge on the FDP:
    http://fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=215981

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Which one?
    VHT have some incredible two and three channel designs...

16. Tinman

Tinman Member

I was a channel switcher for a long time, but now i just use a Pro Reverb with a couple of dirt pedals. I think the key is finding the right pedal for your amp and speakers. That can be quite an expensive quest. I also believe that some speakers don't get along with overdrive or distortion pedals when the amp is running clean. For me the Pro Reverb running clean through Emi Red White and Blues with an Analogman King of Tone and a Barber Direct Drive does very well.

17. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

i fight myself with this all the time. I've got the hot cat 30 and its freaking awesome but I want to throw dirt boxes and other fun stuff in front of it.. and it doens't really do delays justice on the dirt side.. or at least didn't. I'm waiting on my dr scientist to see if i can get it to do better. I also want to order a klon and drive it wiht one to see what happens.

Next amp for me? Probably a valvetech.. or a different bad cat. I'm not tossing this one though, I'm very very happy
    with it.

Ben

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I TOTALLY agree on the headroom issue, and I would LOVE to try it with a TIM as well.

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Until my recent Fuchs TDS purchase, my main rig for years (with high gainers and other amp coming and going in between) was a Dr. Z. Maz 18 Jr NR with pedals for OD out front (Fulldrive II and now OCD). I was just running those rigs head to head yesterday and feel the Maz/OCD rig is still on par with the Fuchs, but in a totally different way...it's like vanilla and chocolate. The Fuchs is my favorite, but it's really nice to have the Maz/OCD rig to dip into now and then for variety!

I still have a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R which I'm selling now because of the Fuchs...but, I'll never sell the Maz 18! It's pretty easy for me to choose the Maz/OCD rig over the Hot Cat high gainer!

So, yes, I'd check out some single-channel low gainers with pedals! But, keep in mind that not all combinations work well together. Also, keep in mind that most folks set up their clean amps for the verge of breakup and then hit it with bumped up Level and Gain from the pedal for a combination of pedal and amp distortion.

Happy hunting!

20. Blueser

Blueser Member

Tag,

I have two TIM's. If you want to give one a spin for a week, shoot me an e-mail and we can work something out.

B