Clean amps with great sustain. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 59model, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 59model

59model Member

Been through so many amps I`ve lost count, but I always listened to the OD to to make my final decision. Well, got a gig in a cover band again and it`s 3 piece, so I`m going the multi stompbox route to get different tones and effects. OCD, Tonebone, Crunchbox, DL4, etc., and I`d like to get away without using a compressor and just get my pedals to go into feedback without making folks deaf, if possible. I need a good clean tone that will handle time based effects up front. Am I dreaming, or does such an amp exist? I have a Fender Twin, a Marshall TSL601, VoxAC30, Fargen Blackbird, and a Rivera Knucklehead at the moment. Playing small clubs like 100 seats and smaller. :jo

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Not sure that's the point. Or I'm not understanding you.

It's my impression that 'sustain' comes from the guitar. An amp is only as effective depending on how strong the signal is coming in. 'Feedback' would be the combination of the two. As I understand it.

I think if you get any decent sounding clean amp that takes pedals, then you're good.

Your Twin is not doing it for you? That sounds like it might be perfect for this. Or any lower wattage'd Fender.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Some Holland amps come to mind like a Brentwood.
    But wouldn't a Bassman be able to do this .. or a Super Reverb.

4. 59model

59model Member

I`m not good at describing sounds in my head, but I`m basically looking for a clean amp that will assist in the sustain/feedback. for example here`s a clip from the Fuchs website: http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/fuchs335higaindemo.mpg

This is what I`m looking to get my pedals to do since they all have different gain levels and different tones as I will be doing covers. My Fargen Blackbird comes really close, but not to the level I`m looking for, especially low and mid gain with the pedals I`m using. Maybe I should have said a clean amp that can assist pedals in producing this sound. Every amp that has a distortion channel will produce more or less feedback on demand with the same gain at a certain SPL, and I know 2Rocks and Fuchs do this a lot more than say a Marshall or Fender at reasonable volumes. Is there a clean amp that can help with this?

5. matte

matte Senior Member

selmer zodiac.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

How's this? Very clean amp + guitar + pedal (not compressor)

7. 59model

59model Member

Wow, really cool! That wouldn`t happen to be one of those Fernandes pickups, would it? C`mon, what is it?

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Nope. Nothing that fancy. It's a funny little pedal from Line 6, absurdly named "Dr Distorto". I picked one up on eBay for like 70 bux or something like that. While it can do a lot of distorting, it can also be used to sustain virtually any note into feedback.

It is not a compressor. What it appears to do is to get reproduce the tonic, as a harmonic, an octave higher than whatever you're playing. It gives you the ability to control how sensitive it will be in terms of when it kicks in. You can do it at ultra low volume, like I was doing in that clip.

But really, it sounds (and feels) more real if you can play at something more like "gig volume", which isn't to say loud per se, but something moerately above bedroom level. I figured for 70 or 80 bux, it's a pretty cool little gizmo.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think the Fuchs comment nailed it: the amps best known for sustain without distortion are the Dumble derived ones, followed closely by the Mark Series Boogies-something with a lot of gain stages all set fairly low...

10. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

My GainStar 15 has more natural sustain than any other amp I've played through. Notes bloom nicely too. For low volume playing my Crunchbox & Landy provide huge gain options and I can get the amp into feedback easily.

Star GainStar

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I agree that sustain comes from the guitar, and amp...but also, the fingers.

A good light vibrato technique can do wonders for sustain. Also mechanical enhancements like bulking up the weight, bridge material and mass, etc. all help to make good sustain.

12. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

LP--->Jim Kelley 30/60
    I just got my Jim Kelley back from Lord Valve after he sent it to Jim,who went through the amp and now I know what the hype was about. My favorite amp of the ones I have tried.

13. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I use a Fuchs ODS clean with pedals and the bloom and sustain are awesome! I also use a delay pedal with this setup (DLS) with excellent results.

14. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The only thing more amazing than the tone is the top of that 335 ! It's just mesmerizing...

15. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any cathode bias amps, like a Tweed Deluxe or Vox AC-30 or derivative, like my Mojave Sidewinder. Cathode bias amps just sing man!:RoCkIn

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

Any Dumble style amp is known for the long clean sustain and i can tell you with my two rock it is utterly amasing, the clean is shimmering and so thick and sparkly. The sustain is amasing and especially with a neck thru body or a parker etc... i could make the clean sustain infinitely. truly amasing. must be heard with your own ears live. try one out

18. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

My Blackface Showman has great sustain--its so full that reverb is really not necessary. Here are some songs where you can really here it (listen to Upstate and Tommy)--www.snackband.com (you will need to click the button on the left entitled "sounds" which will take you to the music). The first parts of these two tracks were recorded with an SG on middle position through a blackface Showman head.

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

In a clean amp, the sustain is all in the guitar. The Fuchs clip is overdriving like crazy. Thats all gain. I have a Fuchs SLX, and the clean has no more or less sustain than any of my fenders, TwoRock, Brunos, Vox etc etc.

20. Tomo

Tomo Member

My Fuchs ODS 50.

I love this clean tone. Very dynamic with picking nuances.
    It's almost gettng natural feedback after I hit. My Bob Burt
    cab helps too. I am very happy with my Fuchs 50 ODS.

Really fat, crisp, great sustain, touch... all same time.

My Fuchs ODS 50 head clean to CJOD with low volume

I can get my feedback at low volume.

Tomo