Clean and dirty check w/buckers

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Tyrone Shuz, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

I love using a real amp, even though I still get great results from a POD.

Here's a clean and a dirty take with my PRS SC w/#8 pickups and solid rosewood neck.

Is it me, or do clean takes have to be trimmed a LOT more than dirty due to the transients? The level meters "lie" to me when using clean tones, and I get TAG's patented digital clipping. So I keep the level lower and normalize it later. Is that wrong?

2. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Though I'm not a big fan of clean cleans, the cleans were really crisp and clear. The dirty one sounded killer. How did you get the dirty, dirty? I also record with a live amp. Did you use a pedal?

3. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Pedal? You silly man! :D

Guitar (PRS Singlecut) cable Fuchs ODS 50-SLX to Demeter cab w/Vintage 30 speaker. That's it. Amp has reverb. No compression, delay, nada. Thanks for the kind words!

4. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

5. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Nice to hear ya Tyrone! Wholly tones!;)

I think clean tones are much harder to get right generally-lotsa spikes-tube distortion is a form of compression so it just sits a the same level-I guess.
    My solution is to always record dirty-its easy cuz I have no clean amp tones.

JF

6. mikem

mikem Senior Member

The dirty take sounds totally righteous. Nice round tone to it.

Mike

7. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

When I play live I use a Carl Martin compressor. I just don't feel like lugging my board upstairs to use it. SONAR has compression, but it's always afterwards (at least my version 2.1). But I think judicious use of compression is key in a clean tone. Even if you don't use it, the engineer or producer will put it on, almost as a matter of course, not to mention the compression that happens during mastering.

Maybe if I get a minute I'll go back and compress the clean takes. The dirty takes have all that tube compression and don't need it. All one need do is look at the raw wave file to see how spikey the cleans are and how even the dirties are.

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Rob , in respect of the dirty clip, what are the backing chords and what scalar mode did you deploy , it sounds very very good indeed. i like the out but in type of sound and everything resolves beautifully dude.:AOK

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

THAT is the tone of a Fuchs? What a great dirty tone. I also noticed that you used a PRS Singlecut, which explains at last in part why your tone reminds me more of Jimmy Herring than anyone I've heard before.

I would love to test drive one of those Fuchs and see if it does anything for me.

10. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Mmmm, very nice playin' dude!
    Regarding tones, I prefered the dirt.
    To my ears (what's left of 'em), the clean tone lacked warmth and depth.
    I suspect a slight touch of comp or limiting may have helped the tone as well as smooth out the signal.

I can not begin to tell you how much the Barber Tone Press (with the blend set almost to minimum) helps my tone... When I grow up, I'd like one of those studio tube compressors!

HJ

11. Normster

Normster Member

I guess my ears are even worse than Harry's. I loved the clean tones! The dirty tones were great, but didn't seem to have as much dynamic range as the cleans. Both clips were great, though. :)

12. scottl

scottl Member

Excellent playing Robert! The amp is sounding sweet indeed. I loved the little bit at 2:02 on the dirty take. Good control!

The clean take was great too. Loved the feel and lines. Wholly terrific stuff as JF said!

13. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Tyrone,

First of all nice playing.

I liked the clean tones but not not the dirty. I'm just personally not a fan of preamp distortion. The clean is more of a natural tone to my ears where the dirty sounds weak and unatural. I actually like a clean tone with just a touch of nasty.

14. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Thanks everybody, both positive and negative, it's all helpful. I'm a player much more than an engineer. I think the dirty is fairly representative of the amp, perhaps a bit bright. The clean doesn't seem to sound the same recorded as live. I think I may have to try recording the clean super low and compressing it afterwards.

Rock Fella--the main vamp is Bm7 to E7b5. It's the second chord that provides the "out" moments, but I'm merely playing to the chord. I lean pretty heavily on the whole tone scale over the E7b5, and sometimes I use B melodic minor (E lydian dominant is another name for it) over that chord. Both scales contain all the chord tones of the E7b5.

The other two chords are Asus and Gmaj7 which are perfectly normal key of Bm chords.

15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thats what I WANT to do, but there is no "normilizer" on my Roland. :(
    Cleans are FAR harder to record IMO, as I usually do not get clipping with my overdriven tones.

Anyway. Cool playing! I remember that backing. That B- to Bb altered was tricky! Lol! Nice ideas and tones! :AOK VERY GOOD!

16. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

thanks rob !!

17. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Here's a "fixed" clean take. All I did was add some mastering compression to the guitar track. Dynamics are still quite present, but it's much smoother. Whenever you hear guys like Carlton or Ford play clean (in addition to Brent Mason and all the other country guys) there's usually some to a LOT of compression. I always use one live for clean. I really think it makes a big difference.

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

The tones were real good...BUT...who cares? The playing was fekkin' killer!!!!! Especially on the clean clip.

19. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

+1000 :RoCkIn

20. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

thanks, Herr Eduardo! (and Dave T). That means a lot from someone who's brought so much musical (and other) craziness here.