• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Clean, big, open 3D sounding amp for chorded music at home?

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
I play at home and only play rhythm/chorded music. I have a fairly large room and can crank it to moderately loud levels. I play clean 80% of the time and never more than a little OD. Most people seem to play lead and most videos and conversations are based on lead as well. But, I’m looking for recommendations for my needs.

I’ve been through many amps over the years, but always seem to be looking. Currently have Vintage Sound VS15, 20, 22 and 22SC amps at the top of my list, but wanted to get some opinions before making the plunge. I like a sound that’s big, open and 3D as my title states. And I like an amp that’s very touch sensitive and lets each note of the chord ring out as played. Am I on the right track with VS amps? If so, any recommendations for which might be best for me from those listed?

Not interested in SS or modeling amps. Been there, and they’re not what I’m after.

Thanks

chillybilly

Any 65 Amps model depending on your power & tube preferences. Especially a twin-speaker model that has the intentional mismatch (Blue & G12H).

Reactions: jkg

theroan

The Mesa Mark V. It has one of the best clean sounds I have ever heard. It also has a wide range of useable volumes. From your house to a gig. The full size is even more useable at low volumes than the 25 and 25 watt version. Don't ask me why but that was my experience.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
Twin reverb is what I thought of too.

If you want big then getting something with a decent amount of wattage is what I'd be after.

If you want something reeally awesome you could look at a two rock traditional clean 100w head with a 2x12 cab. Its pricey but I dont know what your budget is either.

If you want to keep it within reason, I'd say the twin reverb would be great.

In Absentia

I love VS amps. They make great stuff.

I’d get a Komet 19 or 29. Both can do clean, but gives up dirt as they get louder.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
A smaller blackface amp is a good choice, like a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb. The Princeton would be my pick for home volumes, but the Deluxe would be sound bigger due to more low end.

wengr

I have a VS 20. If you use single coils then I would guess that you are on the right track. However I was surprised at the lack of headroom.

I also had a VS 40. Much more headroom of course and also a great tone, but I prefer the VS 20.

Simto

I'm pretty biased with this since it's my favourite amp of all time.
It ain't cheap and it's heavy as ****, but a Divided By 13 FTR37 has the best, biggest and deepest clean tone I've ever heard. Check it out if you have the chance.

jds22

I play at home and only play rhythm/chorded music.
I can't add to the amp suggestions already posted but I am interested in this and what you're playing?
If you don't mind could you give me a quick explanation or example?
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to make it as a shredder :D and maybe I should focus on another area.

Sorry to hijack.

MHG

I was never able to bond with the few VS amps I've owned. If you're looking for a straight-up vintage Blackface clone, definitely check out Headstrong. I love my King Reverb head. But I don't really consider Blackface amps to be "big" and "open". Higher powered Tweed and Brown amps are probably what you should be looking at.

The Fat Jimmy Jefferson 100 is what first came to mind when reading your OP. Big, open, complex, is how I'd describe it. It may be what you're looking for, but I have a feeling his Jimmy James 45w may be even more in line with what you're looking for. It's going to be even more complex and open. I'd contact Mike and see what he says. He's a great guy, and his communication and customer service is excellent. A real pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:

NorCal_Val

My long time favorite amp for clean tones is my Rivera m100; beautiful(and LOUD) blackface-type clean tone. Plus reverb and seriously flexible eq section.

Jelle

Without knowing your budget: Two-Rock Studio Pro Signature, Morgan SW22/50 or perhaps PR12, Dr. Z EZG50, Brunetti Singleman. But Vintage Sound has some great amps as well, had an older Bassman once.

JaiRamana

I play at home and only play rhythm/chorded music. I have a fairly large room and can crank it to moderately loud levels. I play clean 80% of the time and never more than a little OD. Most people seem to play lead and most videos and conversations are based on lead as well. But, I’m looking for recommendations for my needs.

I’ve been through many amps over the years, but always seem to be looking. Currently have Vintage Sound VS15, 20, 22 and 22SC amps at the top of my list, but wanted to get some opinions before making the plunge. I like a sound that’s big, open and 3D as my title states. And I like an amp that’s very touch sensitive and lets each note of the chord ring out as played. Am I on the right track with VS amps? If so, any recommendations for which might be best for me from those listed?

Not interested in SS or modeling amps. Been there, and they’re not what I’m after.

Thanks
Not too familiar with those amps but to me you are describing a Friedman amp. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

You want clean and stellar pedal platform (with built in verb to boot) I’d highly suggest the 1 channel (hi and low input) 50w EL34 Friedman Buxom Betty. The articulation, clarity and immediacy of Friedman amps is 2nd to none (there may be equals but none better).

Last edited:

Trending Topics