• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Clean, big, open 3D sounding amp for chorded music at home?

Trolley Car

I think you’re on the right track with the Vintage Sound amps for the clean sound you’re looking for at moderately loud volumes.
I, too, have a large music room (450 sq. feet). For perspective , I have fifteen amplifiers, and I think my VS 20 with the 12” speaker ( don’t forget the reverb and tremolo features ) is full, rich, and has plenty of headroom for chording.
An alternative, if you’re seeking massive headroom, is to get a combo amp ( Victoria comes to mind ) with a 15” speaker.

microzyma

The cab is a major factor. I had an Alessandro English head with a solid poplar cab loaded with Celestion blues that was the most 3D setup I've owned. The head with a different cab retained only some of those qualities.

Maybe check out Tim Schroeder amps.

KevWind

For 3D as suggested a two amp wet/dry rig may be just you are looking for. For clean but 3D-ish hard to beat running one amp clean and one amp with a fairly high amount of reverb or delay or both. You get the transient attack of clean but the bigness of and 3d of verb/delay

For big clean 3 D -ish in a single amp do yourself a favor check out a Port City Pearl 50 or 100 and also definitely the Port City 2 X 12 OS vertical wave cabinet.

71strat

Hi-Tone

2x Rawson Sparfield Starfinder 100w Fane Cresendo A Repros

Our latest cabinet is the Rawson Sparfield 2 x12 Starfinder, a birch ply 2 x 12 guitar cabinet loaded with two of our Starfinder DG12A chassis speakers power handling 200 watts RMS and can be supplied with 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers resultant impedance being normally 8 ohm or 4 ohm.
Ideal for Gilmour/ Floyd guitar tones where our 4 x 12 cabinet is a bit too large for the job.

SPEAKERS
The all new "Starfinder" DG12A cast aluminium basket 100w 12 inch guitar speaker featuring extra high power anisotropic ferrite magnet, 2 inch voice coil and 20,000 gauss is painstakingly reproduced to the same specification as its predecessor, the "CRESCENDO"12A that was instrumental in producing that unique early Floyd sound.

This driver has been thoroughly researched in every detail possible and every component recreated to exacting standards, they are even magnetised on the machine that the original Fane company used back in the 60s and 70s.

Specification

Bass Resonance 70 hz

Frequency Response 30hz to 16,000hz

2 inch voice coil

100 watts rms

20,000 gauss

PERFECTION PERSONIFIED

DV52

Mesa Trem o Verb
Tone King Metro ( in Emporium now ,not mine)
Fender 68 Custom Vibroluxe or 68Custom Deluxe

I have sampled each of these , so not just amp of the week name drop.

Not too familiar with those amps but to me you are describing a Friedman amp. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

You want clean and stellar pedal platform (with built in verb to boot) I’d highly suggest the 1 channel (hi and low input) 50w EL34 Friedman Buxom Betty. The articulation, clarity and immediacy of Friedman amps is 2nd to none (there may be equals but none better).

Not sure the Buxom Betty is el34 or 50w. Think it's 40w and 5881s or something.

It is a good suggestion though.

JaiRamana

Last edited:

bobcs71

2 black or silver face Champs, Princeton if you're feeling adventurous, put a Tone Tubby 8" in the Champ for bigger sound and less breakup. Maybe a Champ and a Vox hand wired AC4.

It's not about volume, it's about tone and 5 watts is a lot for home use.
IME amps sound best clean with volume
Edit: Clean is usually best just before breakup. I think a Mesa Express 5:25 has a big clean at home volumes.

Last edited:

jturner

Tone King Imperial. Two Rock Signature w/212. Two different flavors of amazing, neither are cheap. Ceriatone Dumble clone + a warehouse ET65 if you're not wealthy.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
You know, I think you're going to need to expand a little on what you want. Do you want razor clean, no distortion at all? Or some complexity in the mids? What kind of attack do you want on notes-hard or soft? Sustain/sag? Answer those and we can probably target suggestions a bit better. Even better, a recording that sounds like what you want.

I would NOT consider a 22 watt amp clean, BTW. Even a Deluxe Reverb is starting to get a bit crunchy by the time its loud. 35-100w, depending on the size of the iron and how efficient the speakers are... that's clean.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
I would NOT consider a 22 watt amp clean, BTW. Even a Deluxe Reverb is starting to get a bit crunchy by the time its loud. 35-100w, depending on the size of the iron and how efficient the speakers are... that's clean.
The thread was asking about home use. Something like a 6V6 Fender is good, as you can get the amp into a bit of compression without blowing your ears out. Princetons are great studio amps because of that.

easyed

Gold Supporting Member
Get an early Silverface Super Reverb. Cost less than a PRRI. Clean low volume is big and lush.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The thread was asking about home use. Something like a 6V6 Fender is good, as you can get the amp into a bit of compression without blowing your ears out. Princetons are great studio amps because of that.
I love Princeton Reverbs (even more than DRs) but not because they're loud and clean. The OP said something about having a large room so he could open things up a bit, and while the 6V6 Fenders sound great cranked, it's not what I'd call clean. No dig on 6V6s, a Jim Kelly amp with 4 of them will deafen you, and the 3 Monkeys I had with 4 was also nearly Matchless tight.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
Maybe the OP could clarify how much volume is needed. When I read the question, I assumed 90dB, not 105dB.

Hefalump

If you want organic, touch sensitive, big/open, sparkling then look at a Marshall Vintage Modern.

Better than my Mark V for sure.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! Thanks so much for the help/recommendations. I’ve got allot to research/consider. I have a Supro Saturn and a Stryman Dig delay, so I’ll definitely try the stereo/wet-dry suggestions with what ever I get. I’ll should also clarify that while I have a big room, I only play at moderately loud levels. Often try to play where I can still sing without having to pull out my mic.

I still need to check out all the suggestions, but I’m looking hard at the VS 15, Morgan 12 and Tone King Imperial II, which is at the top of my price range. All Fenderish, but the 6V6’s seem to have a sound I prefer. Thanks again to everyone.

Trending Topics