Clean, big, open 3D sounding amp for chorded music at home?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack Dotson, Jan 30, 2020.

1. aeolian

aeolian Member

This was the first thing I thought of. Almost bought one. Went for the weight savings of the Milkman Pedal Steel Mini which would also be a contender but not a big sounding in a room as the Bella. I already have a tweaked Deluxe Reverb that won't go as loud as the Bella, but does what you're talking about in sound. The Milkman is grab and go and clean headroom on any stage I want to be on. Stack it on another 12 and you've got the size. Run together with the DR, OMG. That's huge and lush. I leave both amp's reverbs on a bit and feed it from a Hall of Fame. The mix of all the reverbs is amazing. I learned this as a studio trick years ago. Two different reverbs turned lower were lusher than one turned up more. Spread it to three different reverbs with two slightly different amps in different points in space. You could go for a swim.

2. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

For chorded music at home? You need a Fender or derivative through a 4x10 open back with Jensen P10r's.

For <$1000 here are some options:
    early 70's Fender Silverface Super Reverb
    late 90's Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 (I bought mine for $375)

If you were taking it out once in a while, an early 70's Silverface Fender Vibrolux Reverb with stock Jensens or Oxfords would be 90% of the above in a move friendly package.

A Twin is obviously an option, but I'd take 4x10s over a 2x12 any day for cleans.

3. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Channel 1 of my JP-2C is the cleanest clean I have and it takes pedals great. I also have a Mark V but I prefer it's tweed mode for channel 1, not so clean but in a good way.