Clean boost choice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mad dog, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey all: I often use my Klon for this, always with the gain control fully off. Sometimes, depending on the amp, it can be a little noisy. I'm thinking of experimenting with other pedals that cover similar territory. Most interested (based on word of mouth) in the RC Booster and Burriss Boostier. Anyone here try both pedals?

2. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I just got an RC booster on Saturday from Rainbow Music in Tucson. We had a corporate gig opening up a meeting at 7 AM (ouch!), so I spent some of the late morning cruising the guitar shops in town.

I like it so far. I haven't played it with my big rig, but it sounds great in front of my Zinky Blue Velvet, both as a mild drive on the clean channel and as a boost with low to mid gain on the dirty channel. Very transparent, on the clean channel it sounds like a clean amp cranked.

Right now I've got an MXR MicroAmp that I use in the loop of my Superfly, strictly as a totally clean volume boost for solos. I was originally going to swap them out, but now I'm thinking I might put the RC in front of the amp and keep the MXR where it is...

3. Don L

Don L Member

Currently very happy with Keeley Katana and BJF Baby Pink. My old silver Klon has been retired since getting these two...

4. utterhack

utterhack Member

Zoom PD-01, gain zero'd:)

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I own both the RC and Burriss. They are both excellent. For my taste I run the Burriss first in the chain...it seems to add a vibeyness and slight fatness the RC doesn't have. But the RC is great as a final volume boost in the last position. There is nothing noisy about these pedal with my amps at all. Mesa Blue Angel, Allessandro English, 73 Metal panel...

You can't go wrong with either one.:BEER

Bob

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Love my RC Booster for a transparent no-nonsense boost.

It works well with my Klon and won out over a Fulltone Fatboost and Durham Sexdrive although I love the Sexdrive too.

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso

8. hardys

hardys Member

I've been using a Burris Boostiest for about 8 months and am very happy. I love the clean boost side (right switch and controls), but the distortion side (left switch and controls) is nothing special. It is a very transparent clean boost with tons of volume/headroom. If I had it to do over, I would have just bought the Boostier and saved a few bucks. It's also built like a tank and has a lifetime warranty.

As much as I like some of Barber's pedals, I would not recommend the Launch Pad for a clean boost. It has a steely, bright sound to it.

9. jockman

jockman Member

I have the Z-Vex super duper, bloody wonderfull, and very versatile.

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

If you just want a plain vanilla clean boost, look into a Bad Bob. Does what it does very well.

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Barber Launch Pad, has very high head room!

12. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Cheap and Clean : MXR Microamp - Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I bought a SCP last year based on user reviews and never looked back, I love that pedal. I'm sure others are great, but I have no need to look at them.

15. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Big fan of the RC Booster and the Burriss Boostier. Great boost pedals.

The Burriss is great. The Boost is very "Klon-Like." I am boostiest owner and the boost side is pretty much on all the time. It brings a little life to my tone.

The RC is great because you have a little more control over the tone. Bass and Treble knobs. I am selling my boostiest rigth now because I think the RC works better for my taste. Of course I may miss the boostiest in a week or so

Both pedals do what they do very very well and could not go wrong with either or them.

:dude

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I will +1 the Catalinbread. I tried both the SCP and the RC Booster, and I preferred the Catalinbread due to it's mysterious yet awesome EQ thing it does.

17. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

What is odd is that is exactly how I used the burriss and the rc as well. The rc did not sound as good in the first position but it worked great in the last position and vice versa with the boostiest/boostier.

Again...they are both great pedals....

:angel

18. sandman

sandman Member

that is what I am thinkin....

+1 on SCP

19. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

My SCP is on all the time. It's a keeper.

Jan

20. Bajan

Bajan Member

Same here. I love my SCP.

Shane