Clean Boost ideas (but no RC)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

My amp is a wee bit underpowered and boosting the input really helps make my tone become more thick. So I am in search of a clean boost with eq (but not a boss eq stomp box).

I do have a timmy which is pretty amazing and it works great as a clean boost but I am using it for low gain (and the wait list was about a year). I did try the RC over a year ago and thought it had a hard sound and was very spendy (but it also has great eq control).

What clean boosts exist (besides the RC and timmy) that have treble and bass controls? I think I would get a clean boost only (no eq) if the price was low. Or any very low distortion pedals that really clean up when the gain is all the way off.

2. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Try the Flying Dragon...ONE KNOB...Doesn't color your tone...JUST ADDS A LITTLE UMPH to your amp...Call Steve Miller...He is the owner/operator....Cool dude who will CALL you on his dime to make sure the pedal is working FOR YOU....Can't beat it IMO...

3. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

The Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso is a nice, affordable boost, but lacks the EQ you're after.

I've been using a Keeley Java Boost (treble booster) for boost duties and I'm really pleased with what it does for my tone. A very versatile pedal.

4. wleeds

wleeds Member

Barber LTD-SR hands down. Even more versatile with the mod board.
    Flat eq and rich harmonic response.
    mark

5. andytwatson

andytwatson Member

what about the fat boost 2? i have never played one. i used to own the original fat boost. i really liked it.

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I had a smart people factory ego boost I liked.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Try either a T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive or Atomic Fetboy!

8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Bad Monkey. seriously.

9. somedude

somedude Member

Fat Boost 2.

I have one as part of the GT-500. It's pretty cool. It sounds just like it's name, fat and loud. Stays clean too unless you want a bit of grit.

10. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Pro Analog Power Driver

- or -

ColourSound Power Boost / Overdriver

11. TDavis

TDavis Member

Durham Sex Drive

12. boost side on the GT500 is the one I prefer after having used other pedals...

13. Webfoot

- Flying Dragon... I really liked the sound clip but kind of spendy
    - Ego Boost... just the name is good enough for me
    - Fat Boostered... $20 worth of parts and a soldering iron (wonder is sound likes)?
    - Bad Monkey... mine was modded and it does not do clean at all

hmmmmm...

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

What do you have to lose? 20 bucks? Might be exactly what you are looking for. And with a few easy mods, you could tweak the effect to your hearts content. Who knows you might discover something new along the way?

dk

15. radcliff

radcliff Member

:BEER

16. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I trieda whole bunch of boosts at Guitar Experience here in the UK a while back as I had the same issue. Most seemedto really be low gain ODs orto make things louder but not necessarily attractive. It came down to a Fat Boost (Fulltone) or the Hao Rust Booster. I went with the latter, purely because cranking the Level was a pretty pure clean boost (maybe a little harmonic content boostinggoing down too), while cranking the Boost fattened things nicely without sounding artificial. So, no EQ controls, but the two controls give you that through their interaction.

A vote here too for the Snarling Dogs Verytone, which gives you ten EQ profiles to play with (although most thin rather than thicken): lea it on Wild Dog (option E) and get a serious fat boost with a lot of volume headroom.

Two pedals that don't necessarily get a lot of plugs but turned out to be well worth trying. (Both get used with a Tele and Strat, btw: my humbuckered guitar - Ibanez AS200 - doesn't need the help!)

17. Stratosfear

Stratosfear Supporting Member

Is there a printed circuit board available for the Fat Boostered? I looked all around that site and couldn't find one, although I've had trouble navigating their site before......!?!

18. Webfoot

fat boostered crowd... that's looking pretty attractive plus if it doesn't work... I can send it back to myself!

But seriously, listen to the flying drap from lizard legs clip. I think that is a very natural sounding boost... will the fat boostered sound this natural?

19. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I've tried the Xotic RC boosts...and this FLYING DRAGON is the real deal...ONE KNOB and that is it...The sound man New Year's Eve...Kept asking..What is that ONE PEDAL you keep stepping on?...He can up and looked...He said..Man..your tone is already killer...but that thing just makes it BETTER...only way I know to describe it...:RoCkIn