Clean Boost/OD to run into EGDM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pacomc79, Sep 14, 2005.

1. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Ok, I'm looking to change up a bit, I've been with my Barber DD for about 3 years now. I've got a little Orange AD15/12 it's an EL84 amp and the EGDM is Bjorn's little gift to humanity or at least those of us with EL84's. I don't quite have the cash for another BJF at the moment, but I'm looking for just a change I guess. I'm primarily a strat player but I also throw in a Les Paul every now and then I've been shopping the OCD, LTD, Fulldrive2, Diamond Drive, Nick Greer Sonic Boom, and a slew of other Clean Boosts, I've been through the Keeley Rat and BD2 what are you're opinions. Thanks, P.

2. drolling

drolling Member

Those new Orange amps are really, really great tone machines, but they don't take pedals well at all. I had the Rockerverb 50 head but had to let it go, the rest of my rig was incompatible. I tried the OCD, the LTD and even the Xotic RC & AC boosters (which usually work with every guitar/amp combo in existence).

At the time, I had not yet discovered Bjorn's boxes and it doesn't surprise me that the EGDM is a good match for your Orange. The guy's formulas are very different from anything else out there and if I was in your shoes, I'd just keep saving up till I could afford another BJF.

I'm presently waiting on a HoneyBee, but I do have the SBEQ and I think that it's probably exactly what you're looking for. It works with everything I've thrown at it- high-gain electric rigs, electro-acoustic rigs w/ piezo loaded resonators, as a boost before your farvorite OD, at the end of a long chain of effects, etc..

At this point, I'd rather spend a bit more for something that's gonna work for me, than waste time flipping an endless series of cheaper pedals on eBay. just my 2 (kanadian) cents...

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Thanks a lot. Good stuff The AD's may not have the same circuitry as the Rockerverb, I haven't had a chance to try the new ones, for the most part I do ok, but I never have the pregain above maybe 3, I mainly rely on power tube soak. I don't think I've ever heard a pedal with more harmonics than BJF stuff. My friend keeps saying honey bee so with your opinion too, yeah it might be the way to go. The Barber has done pretty well for me too I'm just board I guess. Some sparkle and fatness to add some good blusey meat to my single coils is what I want. Thanks for the knowledge, I think you're right. SBEQ, Honey Bee and BBOD are on the list of things to look hard for. Plus if BJ ever stops building these magic toys the value is going to go through the roof. I'm still considering picking up a Deluxe or Super Reverb for cleans and just keeping the Orange for that wonderful british tone.

Cheers.

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

dittoes!

Plus really if your diggin the EGDM into the 84s, I think the Red Rooster Booster is exactly what you want in front of your EGDM - it will sound like the EGDM has had the drive knob turned up but keep everything else...... and by itself it is similar EQ to a vox type Top Boost very tasty - its sort of a rawer one knob precursor to the SBEQ, I still use both (RRB and SBEQ)

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

OK, so besides the buffer, I guess the RRB is more fullrange than the Baby Pink? These things are like drugs... I want a PPF too, If I end up with all 3 I'll have 900 bucks invested in 3 pedals, they'll sound damn good though.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

AH, go for the PPF first,,,, it has a really tasty nearly clean boost setting I love ( that you wouldnt think of finding on a 'normal fuzz') and is excellent for driving other drives..... and the Fuzz sounds great with 84s too......

and yes the RRB is about double the Baby Pink, but the RRB is NON buffered and doesnt have the headroom ceiling the BPB and SBEQ have (they are different from each other too...) just this great slightly raw/lively upper mid push that will cut thru without hurting anyone (unless you dime it ;) )

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

does bjorn have an email address that i could contact him at so i could find out some info on what he thinks the best pedals for my rig would be?

also does the EGDM work with brightening up darker/thicker amps? i have a dr Z RXES which is an el84 and it's a very thick amp especially at higher volume settings. this makes it tough to play chords especially when using the neck pickups on my sg and les paul special. i was wondering if the EGDM could help brighten the amp a little and maybe take away some of the thickness of the amp w/o loosing too much bass?

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It should, but Pinkstrat (Dean Farley) or Mr BJ himself could give the difinitive answer. I think Dean had a hand in design and he sold me mine.

9. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

laurencer83:

Yes, I do have an e-mailaddress- check my profile.
    I have not seen any of DR Z's amps in Sweden so I can't really comment on that specific amplifier.
    However, yes the EGDM can be used in that fashion:
    You'd need at higher settings on amplifier use less Dist, but more Volume and set Voice around center and you might adjust the inner trimmer if you need extra treble.
    Given the information of what your rig consists of I'd be happy to to assist. I think it is important that the best tool for the job be used, whatever it might be.

At your service
    Bjorn Juhl
    MP&TD&P
    BJF Electronics

Oh, RRB was particurlarly tested to work as predriver to EGD, to allow settings from rythm to lead.