Clean boost vs Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikoo69, Aug 10, 2019.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

I love my Klon as a clean boost and an OD, and on my board I’m going to use it as a low-med gain OD.

So looking for something that will give me the magic that my Klon does as clean boost - a subtle boldness to the tone that makes the sound pop and stand out. Really doesn’t add any EQ shift as a clean boost. Just a lift, pop, and bold magic.

Looking into a Cali76 Compact Deluxe and wondering how some light compression with wet dry from a Cali76 might compare to the Klon clean boost.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Rolo

Rolo Member

There are some great boosts like:
    1.Keeley Katana mini
    2 Xotic Rc booster new version.
    Those two are non intrusive on your tone.
    3 Xotic Super Sweet
    4.Xotic Super Clean.
    Test em out.
    I personally chose the Katana .

joealba likes this.
  3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

4. guy8string

guy8string Member

If you are looking for a tone enhancer, then consider the CB Condor.

It may be way more than you need, but check out some videos. It can fill a lot of sonic holes you never knew you had.

hippieboy and mikoo69 like this.
  5. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

I’d try an Orange Squeezer style comp like the Analogman Juicer. Used mine like that for years. Internal trimmer to reduce the compression. Currently using a Bearfoot Pale Green Compressor. It does the low comp thing, a little more hi-fi, but with a great T/B EQ

6. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

7. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Couldn’t you just get another klon? You seem pretty happy with what it does.

DGA likes this.
  8. s3gle

s3gle Member

personally, wouldn't use my dyna compressor to try and cop what any drive could be as a boost. Too much tweaking to compensate with the whole rig

Origin Effects look like really nice, worthy pedals though.

9. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

If Bill Finnegan ever gets around to releasing the Klon Clean Boost, this would be what you want.

10. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

I don't know anything else that does that low-gain Klon thing, but I know about a lot of great low-med-gain boxes. Maybe go at it backwards.

zwiefldraader and MoonshineMan like this.
  11. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Pretty much exactly my thoughts!

12. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

No way you can do that with the Cali. Had it and sold it. You should try the Unit 67 instead. Check it on YouTube it wherever.

13. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Barbershop V2, Diamond compressor are almost always on.

YMMV

aaronjcurtis likes this.
  14. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Keeley Comp+

It's one of the things I use to boost my DLS III and Greer Lightspeed. It's just more, doesn't brighten up the attack like the Greer into the DLS.

15. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

I never got a compressor to work as a boost in a band setting. On its own it sounded great, but the sound got totally lost in the mix. The Klone is much more effective as a boost.

16. guff

guff Member

The Effectrode PC2A is best of the bunch for boost or compressor option. Premium pricing applies.
    With the Gain Reduction knob at minimum, it's a full bodied boost. Increase the GR knob to control transients, the Compress/Limit toggle switch handling ratio. Wraps your tone in more/better or more focused/better. Internal trims can further shape the knee if needed.

17. Tiktaalik

Tiktaalik Member

My experience using a couple different compressors as boosts:

The Xotic SP has the slightest low end cut off and a setting to reduce the high end via dip switch. With the high end cut and using a very mild compression setting, it essentially because a very clean mid hump boost that cuts through a mix with a chewy, syrupy quality that I love.

The Mr. Black Big Payback is my current favorite. It's more like a rack compressor in a pedal so it's eq is flatter, and tends to be perceived as brighter, due to just the way physics works (high frequencies vs lows and the logarithmic nature of sound pressure levels etc.). I like using this as a clean boost with the comp knob turned all the way down and the attack turn all the way clockwise. This is the "expander" setting with the very cool reverse 1:2 (instead of 2:1 or 4:1 etc.). I've discovered that the intensity of this setting can be controlled by adjusting the attack knob so I can dial in how hard it pushes the break up on my amp. Pretty versatile pedal!

thinkwriter likes this.