Clean boost : why not use an EQ pedal ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brattmoore, Feb 19, 2008.

1. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

I'm wondering : for clean boost, why not use an EQ pedal (like Boss GE7) ???

2. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Get a Sniper or Monte Alums mod on it, and a GE-7 is a nice thing to have on your pedalboard.

-ZP

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Because they tend to have a very "processed" type of feel, and because they generally lack a lot of boosting power, and because when they do distort, it's generally not in a pleasing way.

4. vinceman

vinceman Member

I do use a GE7 as a clean boost.
    I like it.

Mine is stock, and I'm not sure if I need any mod, since I don't notice any noise...

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

I used a Monte Allums modded GE7 for awhile. Does a good job, but the RC Booster I use now is simply more transparent.

6. Sol

Sol Member

I used my Ibanez GE 10, a 7 band EQ pedal for 10 yrs before it died.

Using an EQ pedal for boost in front of an already breaking up amp is a great way of giving you that push for solos and the like.
    The fact that you can have a lot of fun finding the frequencies that work for all kinds of situations.

It has so many uses, like altering the stock sound of an overdrive or dist pedal.

Need to get rid of the mid hump in a Tubescreamer style pedal?
    Add a little bass at the same time?

Got a Distortion pedal with a fizzy ,harsh top end, and you want more mid scoop while your about it?

The down side;The Boss, and my Ibanez are a little noisy, many 6 and 7 band EQ are, so a moded version would be well worth the money spent on getting it done.

I saw David Gilmour's set up once, and at that time he had four(That I could see)All Boss 7 band EQ's and it looked like two were used to very slightly alter the tone of the two Pro Co Rats I could see, cant remember what the other two were doing, but there was a Boss CS2 comp nearby, perhaps he used an EQ on that to bring some treble that gets lost a bit with that comp, but who knows.

Cheers,
    Sol

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Good in theory, just so-so in practice.
    These days you can buy a clean boost tailored to guitar and it will have more character and less noise than an eq. IME

8. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

anyone tried the maxon eq for this purpose? wondering about any noise issues with it.

9. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I know that Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine uses an EQ pedal for clean boosts. I'm just sayin!

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I tried all they had in a store a few years back, the self generated noise (EVEN when cutting frequencies,or all flat but cut or boost) was ridiculous on every one I tried.

But I did the Brian Wampler mod on it, and that helped (but slightly changed the sound of it as well).

I think the reason many don't go to EQ are varied. For one thing, no one admits it much, but all those bands can get a person feeling unsure of where to set them (even using the ears). Also, it is one more thing that can get knocked out of whack...a lot of folks like that a straight boost (one knob often) is simple, and hopefule made to boost it as it is...no EQ changes.

I like having an EQ, but haven't used mine in years now.

11. cram

cram Member

I use two types of guitars and have found two different settings on my GE7. Strat gets a different boost setting than does my humbucker guitar.

I like the control of shaping the boost and frequencies, but I have to concede that the BBE Sonic Stomp (or whatever it's called - it's red ;) ) generally sounds better than the settings I dial in on the eq pedal.

But the versatility during a live setting is a good one. If I hear that I need more bass or that I need more mids, I'll adjust accordingly. I think it's worked that way.

12. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Just to be clear, I'm not anti-eq. My response above was directed at using one as a "boost," not simply as an eq. Eq's are fun! One thing I think would be cool would be to set up two different eq's in a dual loop (mutually exclusive A/B loop) and to set one up with alternating notches and peaks (it sounds like a fixed flange effect) and set the other one up with the opposite pattern. Play with an eq pedal to see what I'm talking about. Probably not something you'd do live, as you'd be more interested in a "rhythm" sound and a "lead" sound rather than just a cool effect; but I thought I'd share this concept anyway. This idea is certainly a way to make 2 guitars in a band sound very different from each other, too.

13. Structo

Structo Member

Both devices, EQ or clean boost, are merely amplifiers.
    Where as a EQ is a frequency adjustable amp and the boost pedal is hardwired usually for it's frequency response.
    Just depends on the quality of the amp if it is lossy or introduces distortion.

14. riker4208

riker4208 Member

off topic, but a weird trick I discovered with the boss ge7 is to lower every other eq band to the off position and leave the remaining ones around the middle position (ie 0). It produces an awesome filter effect, kinda like a wah left cocked, but way more transparent. I find that sound before my skreddy screwdriver, or even just by itself produces some killer tones. Especially cool for a rhythm sounds. Maybe I'm just crazy.

15. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I opened my ge10 and it had 4 jrc4558 d op amp chips in it-a great boost eq.

16. Sol

Sol Member

Yeah, that Ibanez was a great pedal, and although not working I didnt throw it away !

That was FOUR jrc4558d chips Ramblin390 ?

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I'm not surprised a Boss GE-7 is no good as a clean booster. I think it's a poor EQ pedal all round compared to the MXR EQ pedals.

The MXR 6-band or 10-band EQ pedals are great for all EQ applications plus are perfect clean boosters. They're true bypass, versatile, silent and cheap. :dude

18. Dan-o

Dan-o Member

two words:BOOSTA GRANDE

19. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

For strictly volume/solo boost, the ge7 in stock form is terrific in an effects loop. In front of an amp, i would much rather use a simpler (T.S. type usually) type of boost.

20. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

That's what replaced my Boss GE-7 (check rig out below). It's not noisy.

I've used an EQ for years (last in the chain) with mids boosted around 800hz to "widen" up & push single notes for solos. Works like a charm. Both the Boss & Maxon are fine.

The only reason I replaced the Boss with the Maxon is I already use a Boss DM-2, and I didn't want 2 Boss buffers in my chain (I think the Maxon buffers sound better). But for the effect itself, the Boss & Maxon both are perfect. :cool: