Clean Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grady, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

I've been looking for a clean boost, and I think I've got it narrowed down to 2. The Keeley Katana and the Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso. Has anyone used either/or both of these boost? I really could use some help. Thanks

Grady

2. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have the SCP. It's on all the time.

Jan

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I own the SCP and love it. I use it to boost solos and sections that need a tad more drive out of my Jubilee 2558 and it works like a charm.

4. Grady

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SCP.
    Tonefactor had 4 B stock SCPs, with minor blim, listed on Ebay @109. That included shipping and full warranty. I still don't know if I got the best clean boost, but I do know I got the best price.:)

Grady

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Own the SCP. Use it purely for lead boost, but am buying a second one to leave on all the time

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1 on the SCP, a great pedal. I use mine to boost for solos, but I'd definately like to have another one as well to keep on all the time.. A great pedal, cheaper than the Katana and looks cooler. An easy pick. I just heard comments from a friend ho'd A/B'd the Katana with a MXR Micro Amp and he didn't notice any crucial difference. And this guy's got about the best guitar sound in Finland ;)

7. el34power

el34power Member

I have a SCP. very cool unit. The only drawback for me is that...as i said before IMO, it boosts the low end wich, for a clean boost well, isn't so clean.
    I have just received another clean boost (made in Canada)today... I will try it tonite and let you know how it sounds.

8. Occam

Occam Member

I use the Catalinbread Poblano boost and I really like it...it's the only clean boost that didn't have the overall affect of boosting the highs with my Matamp. I'm not saying that other pedals boosted the highs but they had the affect of boosting the highs by way of hitting the tubes harder in a way that prodocued more high end. The Poblano sounds excatly like my amp with more gain.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

I own the Pablano and REALLY dig it with single coils. A little too fat for humbuckers, but it sounds like old Jimmie Vaughan with a vintage style strat and a tweed amp, has a nice Keef tone with a vintage style Tele and Tweed amp.

10. Grady

What's the name of the clean boost? Can you A/B it with the SCP and give me your opinion? Thanks

Grady

11. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

The Burriss Boostier works great for me.

12. el34power

el34power Member

Here is the lynk to the guy who makes them. He also makes a Ross comp clone and TS808. I haven't tried the comp and ts but as far as the crystal boost goes. At first try, it's pretty much the same as a SCP's boost function, uses the same fet, for cheaper. It may even be quieter and more "transparent" (and no, i am not him or related to him). I will have to do more comparing.

http://goudiefx.com/index.htm

13. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

try the HBE (homebrew electronics) uno MOS or Dos MOS. Nice clean mosfet booster. I actually a similar unit made on for myself. It's pretty cool.

14. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

When I need EQ with the boost, I'm using one of these:

(Barber Electronics BarbEQ)
    [​IMG]

I got the BarbEQ at PedalGeek -- around $125 new. VERY nice.

If I don't need EQ, I use a Lovepedal Delux 60 or miniBuffer.