clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guidedbyechoes, Jul 31, 2005.

1. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Member

Ok I'm a first time poster, so here goes...

First off I'm a poor college student that is building a rig, I have this tube amp called the Carvin MTS, I love the tones I get from it but I want a little more gain. I have high gain tubes in it and I own the standard sd-1. The sd-1 is a nice pedal but it colors the tone and you know how annoying it is to get your perfect tone then have to re-adjust. Also its kind of annoying to have to switch it off when I go to the clean channel. So I was thinking clean boost since my amp in non master volume it would just make the clean a little louder and more gain on the lead channel. I'm trying to keep it under 100 usd, used is no problem at all.

2. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Xotic RC is around a hundred give or take $40. Or a Keeley Katana Boost, Dod Bi-Fet PreAmp.

3. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Another GG convert. Welcome to the boards.

4. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Member

Not really a convert but I'm expanding, no one person can have all the answers, neither can one forum. Sweepicker showed me this site seems to be a valuable resource.

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Sounds like that will work for you. Know anyone that has a clean boost you can borrow, or can you take you amp to a store that has one to test out how it works?

If you can't do that, then whatever you get, I'd be patient and wait until you find one used at the right price. If it doesn't work for you, you won't lose any money reselling it.

You might look for an early Fulltone Fat Boosts, I've seen them sell for $100. Also, the Sweet Sound Booster doesn't come up for sale often, but they usually go for < $100. Both are good quality, and have worked for me.

6. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Member

The only booster in stores near me is the mxr micro amp. There are very few options besides ebay at this point, unless some on knows of any better shops in the Milwaukee WI area besides cascio and guitar center.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Used Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive or a Bad Monkey would work.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

There's nothing wrong with the MXR microamp. Its an excellent booster for the money. If you can find a Zoom PD-01 on ebay (~$50) grab it. It has separate OD and boost circuits so that with the gain all the way down its a pure clean boost with the benefit of bass and treble controls. If you want to spend a little more for true bypass and higher quality builds try the Bad Bob Booster ($130) or the barber launch pad ($140). Another option is the tonefactor Hellbaby($99) which is sort of a dirty booster - somewhere between a clean boost, a treble boost and an OD.

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

some relatively inexpensive ones i've seen are the pedalworx mcboost (just sold one for around $75), fatboost (under $125), zvex SHO's (anywhere from $100-150), and the bad bob booster (around $100, but variable).

the zvex was probably the most neutral, then the mcboost, then the fulltone. the latter two started adding a bit of girth (~mids) as it boosted, which may or may not be desirable. the bad bob is supposed to be the same circuit as the fulltone, but i haven't had a chance to try it.

not to be spammy, but i have a fatboost and SHO for sale over in the emporium, and would be happy to answer any questions or give comparisons. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92312

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Know any engineering or physics majors? Maybe with a 6 pack and a handful of parts, you can roll one. The amz mosfet booster is what many of the boutique boosters are based on.

11. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Member

I talked to a freind and he's gonna build me a bi fet booster and he has a treble booster for me to try out also. If that doesn't work I have plenty of stuff to check out.

12. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

13. MrSage

MrSage Member

+1

And since you don't mind used, watch for a DOD FX-10 Bi-Fet.

It's about the best value you can find for a clean boost pedal. The cost-to-sound ratio is incredible. It holds its own with pedals four and five times the cost.

14. Marcello

Marcello Member

there was a bad bob in the emporium lately, for 80$ !

15. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Fulltone has the Fatboost 3, but also the "2B" and this little monster of a boost punched me in the nose with how good it sounds. I also have an RC booster and love it, but it's out of your stated price range. Look at the 2B.

16. vinchan

vinchan Member

if you want a budget option, just consider joyo or mooer.

17. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

EHX Soul Food
    MXR Micro Amp
    TC Spark mini

18. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

The mxr Micro amp is fine. If all you need is more full range gain, it does exactly what you need. IMO the only reason to get something else is if you Need a tone control, WANT color, or something that runs on higher voltage (for more output).

19. King Rat

King Rat Member

You might also find a cheap vertex boost, that someone wants to distance themselves from cause of the stench.

20. MemorymanDL

MemorymanDL Member

If you're on a super tight budget, have a peak at some of these options. The Joyo Roll Boost is great.

If it's not mega tight, have a look at the Earthquaker Devices Arrows, does some subtle EQ stuff, but really works well with neck pickups.