1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Clean channel awful distortion problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cymbaline, May 24, 2011.

1. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I've got a Carvin Legacy 1/2 stack, and it's developed a problem lately, where the clean channel sounds really farty and weak. If I play very quietly it sounds OK, but if I play more loudly it gets really distorted; the more loudly I play the fartier and crappier it sounds. When the amp is first turned on it sounds OK, but as it warms up, it sounds worse, and eventually it sounds terrible.

The problem is mostly audible on the clean channel, but I can also tell it's there on the lead channel as well, it's just harder to tell unless you turn the drive way down, and then you can hear it.

At first I thought it might be a bad tube, so I swapped all the tubes with the ones in my spare Valvemaster head. I thought this fixed it, but the problem showed up again after a while. I'm sure it's not the speaker either, as the Valvemaster sounds good through the Legacy cabinet.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions for what it might be?

And failing that, does anyone know of a good amp tech in the Austin TX area who I could take it to?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The bottom line is that if it's not tubes or the speaker it's something internal and you'll need a tech to handle it for you. I don't know of anyone in Austin but I'm sure someone will have a recommendation.

3. 6AM

6AM Member

It does sound like a power tube issue.

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

That's what I thought too, but I swapped all the tubes with my other amp, a Carvin Valvemaster. Both the power tubes and all the preamp tubes too. Still getting the same problem on the Legacy, and those tubes in the Valvemaster sound just fine.

5. randelli

randelli Member

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If the problem gets worse as the amp warms up it could be a power tube bias problem.

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Well, I found out what the problem was. Turns out it wasn't the amp at all, but a dead battery for the EMG pickups in my Strat. Replaced that, bam, now it works fine. :facepalm