Clean channel on Triamp gone all quiet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Captain, Oct 21, 2008.

1. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I've had a Triamp for a few years. I remember when I first got it, I could set uop a really nice fat clean and a great OD or 3, and have them at an even volume as I switched.
    After a year or so, the power tubes went, and the clean channel dropped volume. I ahd them replaced, and again since then, with a full service by a very good tech.
    But, these days, I just can't get any volume out of the clean channel. I actually dimed the volume and the gain last night to see how loud it could go. I should have been blown off my feet, but I got a moderate volume at the most.
    The overdirve channel all still work fine, with beastly tone and tons of headroom.
    I'll get it looked at, but meantime, any hints ??

2. Structo

Structo Member

Probably one of the preamp tubes has gone south.

If it is a typical cascaded gain stage amp, V1 usually is the clean channel.

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

or north depending upon where you live. ;)

4. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Yea I'd agree about a preamp tube being the culprit. Try going through and switching them out one at a time and then two at a time if that doesn't do the trick.

5. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

haha yes...good old southern gentleman here and I see no problem with going south!! haha

6. The Captain

Yeah, that's what I thought way back when it originally went kaput. I bought a bunch of new pre-amp tubes, and tried switching them, but didn't make any difference.
    One of the JJ's was a bad tube, and was shorting too, so I not a bit nervous about that. I still have a bunch laying around, so I might give that a go.
    I tend not to use the clean on that amp much, usually head to the IIC+ for that, but I want it back the way it was. It had that whole Twin thing going, but now it sounds like a rat farting in a paper bag.

7. The Captain

So, I was thinking about this more, and I recall that the V1 tube was replaced on the lst service, which was a copuple of years ago, but I don't use this amp too heavily, ssince it's the only one that needs a tech to do tubes for me, and that's a pain.
    So, And I don't believe I'm gonna ask this, and I know I'll need a Bex and a lie down after, but should I consider a NOS tube for that position, for the longevity issue ?? Suggestions ??