Clean, fat, strat bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hrowe, Jan 27, 2006.

1. hrowe

hrowe Member

I am using Custom Shop 69's on my strat. These are great pups. I even like the tone of the bridge pup (with the tone rolled down) but it loses a little too much volume compared to the mid and neck positions.

I'm looking for a strat bridge pup that sounds good clean (I'm not a huge Eric Johnson fan but I like how he gets a great clean tone from his strat bridge pup) and has great bottom and open highs - without TOO much dirt/distortion in the middle. I need something that would balance nicely with the CS 69 neck and mid pups.

Any suggestions? A plus would be manufacturers who sell single pickups...

2. Knowdice

Knowdice Member

Hey hrowe,
    Sounds like a Fralin bridge plate might be what you're after. I don't know if he sells them without the pick-up. I have one on a set of vintage hots and to me it gives the bridge more of a tele sound. It ads a nice weight to the sound if that makes any sence. I got mine from Acme. Check out their site if you haven't already.
    Good luck!

Aaron

3. dave s

dave s Member

Or the Fralin Steele Pole 43 is a great, useable bridge pickup for a strat.

4. hrowe

hrowe Member

I did have Fralins on this particular guitar before with the bridge pup having the plate. I don't think the plate will do that much for the volume issue, I have a feeling. To tell you the truth, I much prefer the clarity and liveliness of the CS 69s.

The steel pole I have not tried on the other hand. I hear they are in the P90 territory. I'm not too keen on P90s for clean tone (often tend to be too ratty for my tastes) but love them for driven tones. Dave S - Do you think the Steel Pole falls into the P90 camp?

5. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you attach those plates to the pickup. I actually have a spare one that was on the cheap pickup in my cheap lapsteel. The pickup seems to have a third wire (a bare one) that is soldered to the plate. The plate has the screw that attaches it to the bridge plate run through it to hold it in place. How do you do this with a regular pickup?

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 on that. the best strat bridge pickup i have.

7. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Dude, check out the Suhr V60 Low Peak bridge. Killer tone. Great bass from a single coil pickup. Wonderful high end sparkle. Best sounding strat pickups I've played.

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The Rio Grande Stelly will get you into tele bridge tone. It is crisp clean, and overdrives well. With overdrive, it can get middy, so an eq may be needed if you want to avoid that. I've had mine on an American Standard Strat for 1 year, and I like it.

9. Luke V

Luke V Member

It won't sound like a P90 on a Gibson, it cleans up well. I had the same volume issue with my Texas Specials. The volme of the SP 43 matches the mid and neck very well. Highly recommended.

10. Den

Den Member

I'll second that emotion.

11. therealting

therealting Member

I also love my Custom Shop '69s, I just find them a bit noisy. I should probably get round to doing a star-grounding, full shielding job on that guitar.

12. justicetones

justicetones Member

Try the Suhr BPSSC system to quiet down those favorite pickups. Truly incredible. Search the forum I posted a thread with some clips before and after. Incredible........

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

+2 on the Steel Pole 43. I have them on two of my Groshs.

14. therealting

therealting Member

I am looking into that, but I would need to change out at least one pickup (no RWRP), and the system is almost as expensive as my Strat! I will be getting another Strat at somepoint though, and it will probably be a Suhr with the system.

I will start with the star-grounding / shielding job first as the cost of that is minimal, just time. I do see the SSC system in my future though, for sure!

15. hrowe

hrowe Member

The Suhr V60 Low Peak bridge sounds appealing. Just the words "low peak" makes me think that I would like them! Do they sell singles? If so, I may just give them a go...

I have my strat sheilded and star grounded and it does help out a lot with the CS69's...

16. justicetones

justicetones Member

17. hrowe

hrowe Member

Just installed the V60lp bridge pup I got from Tone Merchants. Very nice pup. Very good bass response without having too much midrange harshness. They lack a little of the CS69 upper harmonic swirl but it balances pretty well with them. So far I am very pleased, though the V50's are really intriquing to me now...from the description it sounds like it has a fuller frequency range on top.

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I love EJ but his live clean tone sounds like it's going direct on several occasions. So thin and brittle. I was wondering why he didn't switch pickups to compensate. But he must like that.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I had John Suhr rewind a Fender CS pickup with the low peak wind. It came out very nice.

20. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm starting to like the pups on the 60 NOS strat more, but they are by no means hot. It would seem crazy to change them out, but they are just too tame. This might sound stupid in the context of custom shop pups, but Tex Mex strat pickups are my favorite. They say the 57/62 pups are much improved.