Clean Headroom of an AC30cc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by unphotogenic, May 12, 2005.

1. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

I'm looking into buying one of the AC30cc's and was wondering how much headroom they have. Right now I'm using a 66 fender Bassman which is just enough(starts breaking up on 3). I'll probly get the head and then the 4X12 or maybe the Combo with the ceramic speakers and then the 4X12 so then I could have a 6X12. :dude I play in a hardrock band that plays alot of clean as well and I need a good clean and I really like the clean of an AC30 just never played one at band volume. Thanks. :)

2. Kenster

Kenster Member

Hi Unphotogenic

I have the AC30CC2 with the 2 Vox speakers and as far as I'm
    concerned it has my favorite clean tones period. At least for now.:D I think these amps have plenty of headroom as these are very loud amps. Just make sure you have the bias switch
    in the back set to 50 ohm cathode resisitor for the 33W setting.
    I prefer the 82 Ohm for a little more crunchier tones and less headroom. :dude

The extra speakers will help also. BTW I had one celestion blue
    laying around so I replaced one of the speakers. NNIIICCEEE
    Brought out a little more mid range for even smoother crunch
    tones.

K

3. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

Cool. I have a couple extra Emi Red Fangs lying around, think if I put them into the combo they would do the job?

4. Kenster

Kenster Member

I have never tried a Red Fang myself but I hear nothing but great
    reviews. If you do get them I'd like to get your take on how they
    sound. I could save some $$ and get one of those instead to partner with the Blue. Although It sounds pretty damn good just the way it is. Course thats what I thought with both Wharfdales.

5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I've been experimenting with my new AC30CC2 for the past couple of days and am really loving it so far. Lst night I was dinking around with just clean tones, no OD, and was really happy with the cleans this amp can dish out. keeping the channel volumes below or around 12:00 and adjusting the Master to the desired level really gives a great dynamic clean that is sensitive to pick attack. More headroom can be acheived by using the Hot bias setting on the back, and running another 2X12 was helping too.
    The reverb pan on my AC30 was busted when delivered, so i can't comment on how that will contribute to the sound. (New one should be here from North Coast soon...) But sans reverb the sound was killing. I'm also currently swapping tubes/speakers to experiment but the stock setup is really good. (God, changing speakers/tubes is a pain in the ass with these things...My only real gripe)

BTW, This is my first AC30 and I am still exploring the tone stcak, channel combos, etc. I really like what I've found so far. One tip on the new ones: The Top Boost channel has a switch for "Custom" or "Standard" Tone stack...It seems the Custom mode retains the Mids even when adjusting the Treble and Bass, whereas the Standard setting is very good for attenuating/increasing Mids based on Treble/Bass adjustments. For cleans, i was having the best results with using the Standard setting of the Top Boost Channel and pumping up the Treble & Bass a little to cut out some of the strong Mid charachter....Then I dialed in the desired Mid charachter by linking the channels and dialing in just a touch of the Normal Channel (switched to Brilliant). This worked well, almost like having a dedicated Mid knob.
    Hope this helps a little :dude

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I've had one for two nights now. It's a high bang for the buck amp.

I ran it into the Two Rock 2x12 that I have (ceramic) and it was good. But, wired it up to a JBL D130F (15" alnico) and it was really really good.

I thought the clean headroom was less than I was anticipating. I was running humbuckers and p90's though. I didn't try a tele or strat yet.

The overdriven tones are really sweet. I was a fan of the recent AC30 Handwired series. This CC will nail those pretty well for lless than half the price. It also does a good job of capturing JMIera aC30 tones.

A lot of the options are subtle to my old ears. It's a darn good amp tone-wise. The external build quality was about what I expected. The white piping had about a 5mm gap where it came together. Didnt' quite come together close enough if thatmakes sense. The gold accent piping looks like you'll need a tube of superglue shortly.

Now, onto the shipping box. What a thin piece of crap. The amp arrived via UPS (oops) and the box looked beat to hell. Completely beat up. Luckily the amp was in good shape when I opened the box. Somehow it made it. Chances are that I'm not the first owner of this amp. It looked like MF had a local 12 year old pack it back up. It will be going back for an exchange or a refund. I haven't decided if there are enough tones in it to justify keeping it yet.

7. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well I thought it nailed the hw tones enough to sell my hw. I've had the CC for a month and since having it I've sold a matchless dc30 and a top hat King Royale after determining I actually preferred the CC to even the "high end" matchless and top hat - which are fab amps but the CC just suited me much better. I'm sure many here must think I'm crazy but I've spent the last several years going through Matchless, Two Rock, Dr. Z, Bad Cat, /13 etc etc etc, and after all that including owning vintage jmi voxes the CC is hitting the spot for me. The only amp I truly miss that I have sold is the Kingsley Deluxe 30 and I will order one of those again shortly. I have been very pleased with the headroom with strats and teles, but with LP's it breaks up quicker for sure.

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I went back out to my studio and played for several more hours last night. I love this amp with the master cranked and control through the individual gain(vol) knobs.

Swirl and lots of it. I had a Trem Cat a while back and I think the AC30CC compares favorably to it in a lot of areas. The amp is full and has a sweet top end. One of my old problems with EL84 amps in general is that sometime the high end can get a bit harsh. The CC gives you enough optons to tame some of that harshness. So far, the trick for me is to not turn up the gain too far. Keep the power tubes on the edge of distortion and give it just enough gain to get where you want and no more. Like that with any MV amp, right?

I think the ideal version of this amp is not the head which I have. I'm thinking the 1x12 with a Red Fang in it would be damn near perfect. Like I said earlier, I was running it through a 1x15 Tweed Pro that has a reconed JBL D130F.

YOu can get the CC with Blues in it, but due to power restrictions of the speakers, it has to be in the 2x12 config. A 1x12 with a blue would get blown. But a Red Fang can handle much more than a Blue and the tone is very close to my old ears.

Just my two cents.

9. ray j

ray j Member

Just got my ac30cc2. I'm really digging it. One issue though, the reverb on mine's barely noticeable. It can only be heard when in a clean mode, and even then, very faintly. Is this typical of the amp? I'm wondering if maybe I've got a busted pan.

10. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

I'm definatly getting an AC30cc2 with the warfdales. I always loved how the AC30 combos looked. Has any of you had experience with the Warfdale speakers? I could always swap in my red fangs but I didn't like how the broke up and compressed my tone in my other amps. Will it be different in the AC30 or should I just stick to ceramic speakers? Thanks. :)

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Okay somebody post an AC30 CC mp3 ...puhlease!?

12. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

x2

13. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

found I (6'1"/195) couldn't lift it, at least not in a therapeutically safe way, and could never get it in the back seat or trunk of a car. Is there a significant weight and tonal difference with the 1x12?

14. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I posted some here a while back - nothing fancy but will give you an idea. The songs melod. and sorryeyes4 are band rehearsals where the main rht. guitar was an ac30hw and all the others were the CC. Hope this helps a bit. Then there are some clips of me just screwing around below it:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/ricjjochelsonmusic.htm

15. dannymusic

dannymusic Member

why bother w/ a clip? it's an AC30 for crying out loud. It's not a "clone/variation".

I'm still waiting on me CC1. I refuse to carry an 85# amp everywhere.

16. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

well it's a variation of one anyway.

17. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Here's the specs:

Model Dimensions/Weight:

AC30CC1 54 lbs. 24" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    AC30CC2 70.5 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    AC30CC2X 70.5 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    AC30CCH 41.9 lbs. 24.2" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 10.83" (H)

VX212BN 44 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    VX212BNX 44 lbs. 27.75" (W) x 10.4" (D) x 21.25" (H)
    VX412BN 97 lbs. 27.95" (W) x 14.37" (D) x 30.7" (H)

The 1x12 with NeoDog will save you 16.5 lbs.

And if you want to load the 1x12 with a Red Fang instead?
    54 lbs - 4.4 lbs (NeoDog) + 11 lbs (Red Fang) = 60.6 lbs.

So that's a 10 lb difference:

60.6 lbs total for AC30CC1 with Red Fang vs. 70.5 lbs for the AC30CC2 and AC30CC2X