Clean high gain pre-amp for a ribbon mic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ricoh, Dec 26, 2005.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

What about a clean high gain pre-amp for a ribbon mic
    Any suggestions? RNP? Some thing around that price?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use a Benchmark pre that has 75 db of gain because my other pre's won't cut it for a ribbon. If you're just recording amps, ~55 db is all I need for mine, so you can get by with a RNP, GT brick, etc. For vocals or acoustics, you'll need 60-65 db of gain. Off hand, the least expensive one I can think of is the Grace 101-rv. I don't really like those mics for acoustic guitar but YMMV.

3. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

#1 GML
    #2 Millennia Media
    #3 John Hardy M2
    #4 Amek 9098
    #5 Grace Design

I Usually Avoid Tube Pre-Amps with Ribbons Because tube Pre's dont have enough Gain. You Need app 70db of Gain in order to Get enough noisless Volume to Get the Proper Output. Especially with the Older RCA Ribbons. The New Royers and Coles Mic's Have more robust output sections and are more forgiving to lower Gain Pre-Amps.
    My Drum Overheads Mic of choice is the Royer SF-12 Going Through the GML or John Hardy. I Usually Never Ad EQ and will Sometimes Need to add Compession on Mixdown.
    The Sound is Amazing! Very Clear, Present and Warm. The Royer Gives a Very Realistic and Ideal sound.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Nope, not around that price.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

What associated gear will you be using it with, and what's your budget? The phantom powered Royer is easy to match, for example, others less so.

If you're using a console, you may have more choices if it's flexible in level-matching. Direct into most converter boxes, fewer choices are out there.

What kind of sound are you looking for - some coloration or something very clean?

6. muddy

muddy Member

he said clean, which is why i suggested the 2 pre's i did (1 expensive, 1 cheap). they were what i could think of (that hadn't already been suggested) off the top of my head; the description that usually 1st comes to mind when mentioning either pre are their uncolouredness(?). especially the martech. whether or not i'd recommend them for a ribbon is another story (in other words, i don't know). on the other hand, with a good valve mic, where you want to let IT'S colour shine, well...

ml

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

Thanks for everybody's input.................although I would love to spend $$$$$$$$$$ ..........I cant justify it. I guess I want the best " bang for the buck." $500.00....$600.00 tops

Rico

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Since you're not going to get an expensive preamp, consider an all-in-one channel strip piece of gear. You can get a pretty nice mic pre and EQ and dynamics processing all in one box. Because these things have to interface with lots of different kinds of equipment, from semipro gear to +4 studio gear, they often have a wide range of input and output level adjustment.

The plus, of course, is that these boxes give you the ability to tweak your sound with EQ either while tracking or mixing, and give you compression to control levels tracking or mixing. Some of them are very easy to adjust by ear.

I know this isn't the usual advice, but my feeling is that if you can kill several birds with one stone, do it.

I've used a Focusrite Red 7 channel strip, and a Focusrite ISA 220 channel strip for years. While these are out of your price range, the Focusrite Platinum series are in your price range, and my experience with them at other studios is that they sound pretty darn good, and will be useful even if later on you add higher end gear.

I mention the focusrite stuff because I'm familiar with it. There are other very nice channel strips out there to check out.

9. RonH

RonH Supporting Member

Since you are on a budget, save yourself some money and pick up a Rane MS1b for 150.00. It is a very nice clean mic pre that sounds similar to the John Hardy M1 (very similar). Don't let the cheap price fool you. This is one really nice sounding mic pre. Good luck!

Ron

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Hey, not a bad idea! Interesting...

11. muddy

muddy Member

$750 or so (unless it's gone up) will get you the earthworks pre i mentioned above. it is VERY clean sounding (as in no colour), and it has heaps o' gain (i THINK 75db's of it, if memory serves.) it's the same pre that's in their 1022, and it's a really good pre.

ml

12. elambo

elambo Member

The Earthworks pre you mentioned is just under $1000, not $750. His "tops" is $600. A nice pre, no doubt, but not in his range.

13. muddy

muddy Member

ugh-h-h! well then he's kinda **** outta luck. there aren't a lot of clean, transparent pre's to begin with, much less cheap. the earthworks & the grace are pretty much it. with mic pre's, you get clean and transparent if you put the components & the workmanship in, & they do not come cheap. there's no dirt to hide behind, so to speak. it's not like the cheap **** where they whack a toob in a little window (ooh, pretty!) for mixing in dirt the way you would in a badly designed guitar pedal.

ml

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

focusrite ISA 428 is pretty good w/ ribbons (enough gain and adjustable impedance) and is less than what U wanna spend (per channel).
    but seriously, save Ur money and get something that'll do U in the long run. great river ain't THAT much more and the few months that U'd have to wait would be well worth it in the long run.

15. ricoh

ricoh Member

Thanks for all the input.................. Lots of choices for lots of ...........................$$$$$$$$$$
    Unfortunately I can't justify or afford a $1000.00 to $2000.00 pre for my home recording projects. I will look into the Grace , RNP , the Focusrite P series as well as the Rane though............ Thanks for getting the wheels turning.... ALL or your advice and input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Rico

16. elambo

elambo Member

I had a Grace 101 for about a month (a couple years ago) and was very impressed with it. I think you might be able to find one for right around $500. It was relatively clean sounding from what I remember. The company has a great reputation and I think it will also have the gain you need.

17. muddy

muddy Member

the great river, while most excellent, is NOT a transparent pre. in fact, any pre based on neve's designs will be of the coloured variety due to the use of transformers at the input and (sometimes) output stages. the phoenix audio drs-1, while not transparent, IS cleaner than the great river. it's input stage is a transformerless design, but the output stage sports one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.phoenixaudio.net/pages/drs1.html

the gordon audio mic pre:

http://www.gordonaudio.com/
    [​IMG]

a transformerless design with low coloration and 70db's (!!!) of gain, but it's expensive.

ml

18. EVT

EVT Member

I have the Phoenix Audio drs-1 on the way.
    [​IMG]

I would also recommend the Rane MS 1b.
    http://www.mojopie.com/ms1b.html

I haven't used it, but I've heard it's a clean pre. I've heard it referred to as a "John Hardy Jr.".

evt