Clean old man

LPV

I find as I get older I’m using less and less gain. Not sure if it’s something to do with my hearing but the last few gigs I’ve been finding by the end of the night I’m pretty much playing a clean tone with just a bit of compression and clean boost. Across all the genres we play too. Anyone else playing with less gain as the get older ?

Jason UP

Silver Supporting Member
saw the title and curiosity took over....just HAD to be the first person to comment.

I play with less gain I think as I age simply because my tastes have changed...yes my hearing is shot with tinnitus, etc. but i've just gotten better at dialing in amps, allowing for the bloom process as the tubes heat up, etc. Plus the room you're playing in drives a lot of the formula. But overall, gain for gain's sake just isn't that great of a tone for me. Love metal and all that, but i'd rather hear a nice overdriven tone as opposed to a boatload of gain.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah its a thing for sure. For me its about using the right amount of gain or none really if that's what fits the part I'm playing. I think a lot of younger player typically play with too much gain for a lot of things and it really sounds wrong in context. Not just young players though.

Less gain = more punch too.

Last edited:

guitarman3001

There's a whole ton less gain in the tones people love and trying to copy too. Less gain sounds better to everyone that has to listen to us too ;)
I'm not so sure about that. I know how much gain there is in the tones i like. I've been told once that I could have used more gain in a certain song.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I started off as a vai wanna be....now the highest gain youll hear from me is “fordish”.
I even play archtops now...and stopped using I pick.
Whats next?
Acoustic Guitar!:)

rawkguitarist

For myself unless the song calls for it, I pretty much always have a little distortion going. But lately I've been enjoying less and less myself. I think mainly for clarity of parts and too much gain is starting to sound annoying to me.

zenas

I never had a high gain amp other than the Peavey solid state crap in the 80s with the distortion knobs, or whatever they had. Just never got into it, prefer non master volume old school amps. I guess I bought a distortion pedal once a Marshall Shred Master but really just used it as a clean boost, only dirt pedal I've owned. Oh I've got a 2555 Marshall but seldom use it, I guess that's my high gain amp, use it pretty clean MV cranked, none of the diodes engaged.
Even as a kid I didn't care for much gain. Probably from playing with other kids that over used it mostly to cover their bad playing.

Axe-Man

I'm not sure I've noticeably reduced my gain over the years, but I've definitely had a 'refinement' with it in regards to my current amps. My ideal level of gain is a boosted recto and a v30 4x12 (which isn't as much as you may think).

I don't play much middle of the road gain anymore. If I want to play clean, I play really clean with ambient FX; otherwise I play with gain. I guess I'm more of a prog player. I like lots of clarity and thickness.

MkIII Renegade

I find as I get older I’m using less and less gain. Not sure if it’s something to do with my hearing but the last few gigs I’ve been finding by the end of the night I’m pretty much playing a clean tone with just a bit of compression and clean boost. Across all the genres we play too. Anyone else playing with less gain as the get older ?
Have you also found that you have a favorite chair? :wave

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
My guess is that the more years of playing you have under your belt, you suck less playing clean(ish). Also, chances are that you can afford a decent guitar and amp. Took me twenty years to go from Jackson MIJ Dinky, cheap distortion + wah + Marshall to arrive at clean TwoRock and custom made guitars. Is my tone ‚better‘ now? No idea. I certainly like the progression but I still hate jazz and listen to metal.

Trending Topics