1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clean Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I'm using an EL84 Class A amp. It's not very easy to get a nice warm punchy clean sound on it (say like a Fender Twin). I can get great breakup and crunch but clean is very elusive.

Are there any pedals that could increase the headroom and give that nice warm Fender clean? Maybe even something that injects directly into the effects return?

Thoughts?

John

2. Marcello

Marcello Member

i suggest that you swap some tubes for less gain and therefore more headroom, try putting a 5751 or an AT7 in V1, helped me a lot on my EL84.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

You can also try a 12AY7 preamp tube in V1 that has less gain the 5751, Othere than trying different preamp tubes thats about all I can think of to get more head room!

4. JohnLutz

Thanks for the tips on the tubes. I'll give it a try.

The other angle I was thinking about was some kind of preamp that you plug directly into the effects return. I know the VStack pedals sound better this way. Too bad they don't make a Twin in a box.

I suppose I could go nuts and get a Triaxis and plug it into my return. My preamp just has one volume and one tone control anyway.

John

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

I would agree. Not sure if there are any pedals that will give you more clean headroom. You may be able to clean up your sound but you will do so at a lower volume. Try the tube thing and if that doesn't work you may need to think about upping wattages on a new amp.

6. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

A lower value pre tube in your V1 position will get you some additional clean. If your amp is not self-biasing, lowering the bias will run the tubes colder, which will give you more headroom.

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat with my 15 watt Class A EL-84 amp.

I just ordered a JJs 12AT7 and 12AU7 from Eurotubes. I'm going to try each of these in V1. Either one should decrease preamp gain / increase the preamp headroom. I'll just see which one I like best. At $8 a tube it's also much cheaper than a pedal!

8. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

What kind of speaker(s) are you using? You could try a "cleaner" or more efficient model, like an EV, JBL or a Celestion G12H.

Also, what about trying different EL84s? Groove Tubes has that rating system where the higher-rated tubes give more headroom, and the lower-rated tubes break up earlier. My Maz Sr. uses the Groove Tubes EL84S with a rating of 6, which gives a hell of a lot of headroom (but there are four of them) but I think the rating goes all the way to 10.

9. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

What kind of speaker(s) are you using? You could try a "cleaner" or more efficient model, like an EV, JBL or a Celestion G12H.

Also, what about trying different EL84s as well as different preamp tubes? Groove Tubes has that rating system where the higher-rated tubes give more headroom, and the lower-rated tubes break up earlier. My Maz Sr. uses the Groove Tubes EL84S with a rating of 6, which gives a hell of a lot of headroom (but there are four of them) but I think the rating goes all the way to 10.

These changes will help, but my understanding is that EL84s always have a bit of hair on them. They're not as powerful as the 6L6s in a Twin.

David

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i think what's happening is that you want more volume out of your amp, but cant get it. thus the power tubes are beginning to crank/overdrive.

hate to say it, but there's no way around this unless you buy a larger wattaged amp.

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

How about a Fender twin?:)

12. JohnLutz

The local shop let me try out a couple of different tubes. The 12AU7 really bumped up the headroom.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John

13. Brick

Brick Member

Email Bob at: www.Eurotubes.com

Let him know what amp you have and what you are looking for. He is very responsive and will help get you set.

I just ordered new tubes from him to try get more clean headroom in my old Soldano Astroverb 2x12". Since it's only about 15 watts there isn't going to be a lot of clean which he was straight up about. Even if my new clean is only slight I'll be happy cause I love JJ tubes.

After the new tubes I plan on getting a pair of Celestion G12H. I know it's a "rock amp" or somethin' but I need a little bit more clean.

14. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I have put a 12at7 in V1 and use a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster at about 10/12 db boost on a C30 and Rivera Concert. Both times the clean boost gave me more clean headroom than without with the volume rolled back, and a nice glassy breakup wide open. I leave it on all the time now.

15. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Oldest thread on the board....bump.