Clean sounding amp for funk strumming

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sust5-7, May 3, 2015.

1. Sust5-7

Sust5-7 Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really clean sounding amp, 1x12,
    Lightweight, 40-60 watts? I'm heavily influenced by Jimmy
    Nolen (of James Brown's heyday). I have a Dr. Z Maz18 for that type of sound but need super clean for old funk strumming. Thanks in advance!

2. MHG

MHG Member

RedPlate TruVerb. It's 100w, but it sounds fantastic at any volume. It's one of Henry's Legacy series amps. RedPlate cleans are great for funk.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. Sust5-7

Sust5-7 Member

Thanks so much MHG. That will be my first stop!
    I'll respond after I try one. Thank you again!

4. MHG

MHG Member

5. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I would also suggest a SFTR, but for that sound I love my Carr Slant 6v

6. redeyeflight

redeyeflight Member

You sir, need a fender. Blackface bassman or a twin reverb should do the trick nicely.

7. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

Agreed!!

8. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Blackface Fenders we the default for this, but I would really take a look at any of the newer Quilter combos for loud, clean, and compact/lightweight.

9. dconeill

dconeill Member

Quilter Aviator 1x12 if you have the coin
    Peavey Bandit 112 if you don't

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Yeah blackface Fenders are ideal for this (although a brownface Concert is nothing to sneeze at). But for lightweight I'd look at Tone King; my Meteor II is exactly what you describe. But I wouldn't overlook solid state options like a Roland Jazz Chorus- the model with 2x10"s is fairly light. Even a Peavey Classic or Hot Rod Deluxe will get the job done.

11. rummy

rummy Member

+1 on black face Fender.

12. JackStraw12

Fair to say a scoop in the mids?

13. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Re mids: I think it slightly depends on what kind of funk you at referring to. Meters/JB/Sly Stone funk has a nice thickness to the mids to my ear, while Rick James/Prince style funk is served well by a thinner sound. But in either case, I think that's more guitar than amp. I still think a little bit of mids are needed in alive environment, especially when competing against organ/clave/e. piano/horns.

I've used anything from a Dr. z Maz Jr. with the mids and gain dialed back, through numerous fenders, and am presently on a Rambler for the last 8 years.

Joe

14. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

No need for boutique. Simply get a Fender. Vintage or current.
    Either will serve your needs. Your wallet will thank you.

15. JackStraw12

I tend to lean towards the Meters/JB style when jamming, which I agree has more mids. I prefer a semi-hollowbody with HB's for the guitar when playing those guys' music. The New Mastersounds, Cookin' on 3 burners, Greyboy Allstars, and the Haggis Horns are some great new bands in that genre I think too and try to incorporate some of those tones too

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I gigged a Red Plate RP 50R last weekend. It's 1x12, about 50w, and it did FANTASTIC for clean funk style playing - fantastic for lead playing too, but the OP asked about clean, 40-60w, not too heavy.

I agree a BF Fender will do the job fine. You might need a Twin - 100w, but a bit heavy as a 2x12 combo. My BF Pro Reverb sounds good, but at 35w and 2x12, it can run outta gas a little if the band is loud. Same is true for my BF Vibrolux Reverb.

You'd have to play REAL LOUD for the Red Plate to run out of gas.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

17. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

One of the cleanest amp.'s I owned under $1000. used was a '01 Fender BF Concert Reverb (4x10"). These amp.'s were made from '01 thru like '03, solid as a tank and will compete with a Matchless as far as 'Clean' goes,...

...how do I know you may ask?,...I had one of these 75lb. beast until about 2 weeks ago when a Matchless owner was telling me about his Matchless head (I cannot remember what model, I do know it was red...LOL), and I told him about my BFCR RI and that I was contemplating selling it due to its weight, and promised him that the amp. would be just as 'clean' as what I was hearing thru his $2300. Matchless.

Well, I no longer have my combo because when he plugged into it, he was shocked and HAD to have it (a couple of members here have played thru that amp. BTW), and was blown away even more when he hooked up my humble amount of a pedal board I have (not in quality, just in #'s) and heard the clarity and how transparent they came out.

Trust me, if I could have handled the weight of it...that amp. would have never left this house. Tom