CLEAN TO SCREAM WITH VOLUME. Amps that do it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

About a month ago I was checking out all of my amps for this quality. While I think most amps do this pretty well, really high gainers can sometimes suffer in this area. Not the Fuchs ODS! This amp has MASSIVE amounts of gain on tap, and I can still back off and get a good clean tone. What other modern high gainers do this really well? I did a second clip to demo this, and I posted it in the sound clips section here.. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121300 You can click on the sound file there and check it out. The Fuchs ROCKS! :AOK

2. HHB

HHB Member

I was @ Gearpager Phoenix' pad today and we had a Marshall 50 watt head and basketweave cab from the early 70's going clean to mean and having big fun w/ my LP Jr, the vintage vox AC30 was doing a great job of clean to mean as well using a Boss EQ as "topboost". I've got a silverface deluxe that does it well too, the problem is you gotta crank em , the AC30 on 10 and boosted is pretty frakin loud, had a hotplate on the marshall most of the time ( did let er rip for a while though )

3. Roe

Roe Member

koch multitone - ch. 3 - is doing this pretty well

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Hiwatt (Biacrown era), THD (Flexi), VHT (Deliverance, 50/ST), the right MV Marshall JMP...

5. aroman

aroman Member

I had a Fargen MiniPlex that could go from "Back in Black" CRUNCH to "Wind Cries Mary" Clean with Volume + PUP change.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Wow! Finally. I was so tired of all those Bruno postings. I'm glad you're finally coming around. Now, if you'd just train your ear to understand Metheny!:AOK

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

VHT Deliverance, UL and CLX in the rhythm channel....

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Z's. Marshall. Bogner XTC

9. JWR

JWR Member

I think the Peacemaker does a good clean to scream. My trusty '72 Super Lead is exceptional from clean to scream and inbetween but it's not modern, it will turn 34 next year.

10. Tag

Forgot to mention. That was WELL below stage volume! You could easily practice without disturbing people in other rooms. VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!! Not even 1/4 turn on the MV. Gain was about 1/2 way.
    :BEER

11. HHB

HHB Member

whoops, missed the modern caveat, sorry

12. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Forget "clean to scream with volume". My Kingsley D32 does clean to scream with pick attack.:eek:

Granted, it takes an extremely delicate touch to get those clean tones out, and it's a lot easier to use the volume knob for that purpose, but it can be done.:dude

13. Tag

Lol! Just what the world needs. More chromatic patterns on changes.

:p ;)

14. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Two Rock Ruby and Hayseed 30 are great at this. The 30 has to be turned up, but the Ruby was gained out right off the bat.

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Tried this on a high gain stage with the Zinky Superfly, and was suprised how nicely this worked. Not GREAT, and had to really pay attention to pick attack during cleans, but certainly usable. Band members were impressed while I was just screwing around with it.

EP

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You mean this aint a Bruno thread. :eek:

Someone needs to take Tags temperature. :D

Just kidding.

Good thread.

A couple years ago I would have said you were full of bull but nowdays I'm a firm believer in Guitar, Cord, and Amp with a little Volume Knob.

All mine do it well but its been a struggle finding these babys that do the do.

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

Guys, any decent amp should do this. The clip you posted Tag is very cool, but it is not an example of anything out of the ordinary. The "clean" part is not that clean, and the "scream" part is not that screamin. I have channel switchers that will cover way more ground in the clean to scream dept. with a simple step on a foot switch. And they will do the same clean to scream as the clip when on the lead channel.

The best I've ever heard going from clean to scream with just the guitar volume is from a Trainwreck, there is something about that circuit that lets this happen more than any other amp I've ever heard. But any decent amp should allow some amount of this.

18. Tag

Thanks for listening! I agree with you most amps can do this. The thing about the Fuchs is that it does it at such a low volume! Also, as I said in the other thread, I A/bd my E.Pro with an original Trainwreck Express, and the two Rock was every bit as good at it. The trainwreck also had to be at ear bleed volumes to get some gain. (Maybe you mean a different model though)

Anyway, my Fuchs is better than my E.Pro at this. (At low volumes) I also agree that there is NOTHING like having two distinct amps. However, this is only the dirty channel of the Fuchs at about 1/2 gain. There is an entire different world of cleans in the clean channel.
    :BEER

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock Ruby (which I believe is close to a Trainwreck circuit).

20. tybone

tybone Member

A TR Sig will do this. The lead channel is my preference.