Clean Tones for Cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alderash, May 10, 2005.

1. alderash

alderash Guest

I'd like a low-wattage combo amp that has a good clean tone and takes pedals really well — all for the low, low price of $500 (new or used).

What's my best bet for quality cleans at a budget price?

2. garfight

garfight Member

im partial to the old gibson ga series amps. they can be had relatively cheap and sound fantastic. the brown tolex/silver control panel ones seem to sound best but, there are some white panel ones that sound good as well.they run the gamut of cleans sounds depending on which power tubes are in them.the el84 versions are real voxy sounding and the 6v6 versions are fendery sounding.
    http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=816014

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=805194

theres a couple of examples for ya. as for newer amps i hear good things about the fender hot rod series but have no first hand knowledge of their reliability.
    good luck

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (not really low wattage though). Can be had used for around $400.

It hung with my Carr Rambler, and I preferred the way it took pedals over the Carr.

Can't give an answer on reliability, however.

4. MVrider

MVrider Member

MusicMan amps do the clean thing very welll and are rugged and cheap. Have no idea about the pedal thing, though. I've never used one.

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Get the word out, one will come to you. I used a Pro Reverb with pedals for a long time. Really nice clean sound, took the pedals of the day very well. Only thing it lacked was some control over the lowest octave. It could flab out a bit if driven pretty hard.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agree on theHR Deluxe! Killer amp at any price! :)

7. aquadog

aquadog Member

I like the peavy classic 30's a lot more than the Hot rod devilles. You can get them really cheap used as well, and then switch out the speakers and tubes.
    They even sound good stock.

8. Tag

Thats another great one! Overall, I give the edge to the PV, but for cleans, personally I like the Fenders quite a bit more. The overdrive on the PV KILLS the Fender though imo. Both such great amps!:dude

9. alderash

alderash Guest

Thank you all for your input so far.

The Hot Rod Deluxe looks great, but I'm concerned about the wattage — 40 watts is way more than I need right now. I won't really be able to drive the tubes at that wattage without receiving a few irate phone calls. Something in the 15 to 20 watt range would be nice.

I was going to go for a silverface Princeton Reverb, but those things are expensive! Forget about the Deluxe Reverbs; they're even more pricey — and I thought I heard Tag say he hated them anyway. :) (Why is that, Tag?)

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions!

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes, Fender Hot Rod is really good.
    Peavy 30 is good for blues... I don't know about
    pure clean. HR got more headroom.

I don't think you can find any silver face Fender
    under $500... I even paid my Silver face Princeton
    $450? a couple years ago..

Actually once I sold this Princeton to another student of mine
    .who gave to his room mate.... the person I bought
    back from...

Tomo

11. Tag

Deluxe reverbs sound cool cranked for blues. Other than that, they are thin sounding to me. Can be quite nasally as well. Kind of a paradox, but thats how I hear them! One of my least favorite Fenders, and I love most Fenders!

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I rented a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for a gig and it was great, clean and with pedals. I played a big room with around 500 people and I had the Volume at 3!

You should check out the Traynor YCV40 (2-6L6s) and YCV20 (2-EL84s).

13. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    You can get a used Reverend Hellhound (switchable between 40/60 watts) for $450 or less. No longer made, replaced by the Kingsnake, but they're a very good clean amp and have a better speaker, imho, than a HRD or Classic 30.

14. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

PV C30

Rev Hellhound

Traynor YCV 40

jon

15. Marcello

Marcello Member

i tried a classic 30 recently and i wasn't impressed, the OD is fizzy and the cleans are ok.

16. iplaydirty

iplaydirty Member

If you liked the idea of the hot rod but want something smaller why not try out the Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr.
    At 15 watts it sounds like what you might want, plus with the money you save you could afford another pedal or two :D

or you could buy another pro jr ;)
    one for home and two for the show :dude

17. Tag

Strange. What I like about the PV is that the overdrive is not fizzy or buzzy at all. I am going by the classic 50 though, not the 30. I have had little time with a 30, but I do think the 50s cleans are quite a bit better than the 30s.

18. alderash

alderash Guest

I've definitely considered both, but I wasn't sure how the cleans were on them — I always thought they'd have a darker tone and not be very sparkly.

19. XBic

XBic Member

The Pro Jr. can definitely get sparkly, but once you go past 5 or so (3-4 w/ a 'bucker) you're not going to be in the clean realm any longer... it starts to break up at that point (very nicely, I might add). But it is still a prett darn good amp for the money.

20. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I think the Blues Jr has a great clean sound at low volume. It's an EL84 clean, which I like personally but which sounds very different than a 6V6 or 6L6 type clean.

This is a great thread. I'd been looking for a 30w-40w combo to carry out. I'm definitely checking out a Fender HR Deluxe now. I'd completely forgotten about that amp.