Clean/Treble Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theroan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. theroan

theroan Member

I want to get a pedal that will act like a lead channel only for clean tone only. Basically if I go into a solo while playing clean how can I make that sound stand out more. I've heard of new EH NANO LPB-1, or using the Blues Driver with no distortion (some how). What would do this best?

Thanks!

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I love my ZVex SHO for that. Even if I set it to be the same volume as when it's off, the pedal adds a little bit of clarity to my tone and helps it stand out in the mix.

3. theroan

theroan Member

That pedal is rad, how much does it go for?

4. theroan

theroan Member

Wow, thats not cheap.

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

A Timmy or a xotic Rc boost are not cheap pedals either, but with the eq you can get as much high end and boost that you would need for those solos.

1+!!! Timmy.

6. iggs

iggs Member

7. erksin

erksin Member

The most important thing to consider is if your amp has enough headroom to accomplish what you are trying to achieve. You won't get much of a benefit from a clean booster if it slams your preamp into distortion.

Ever try rolling your volume knob back a bit?

8. erksin

erksin Member

Timmy's only $100 - how much cheaper do you think it should be..?

9. theroan

theroan Member

I'm playin through an F-50 in my apartment, so its never THAT loud.

10. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    try an MI Audio Boost N Buff. Up to noon on the dial it's a clean boost and then anywhere past noon it starts to boost the treble as well....

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

They sell for over $200! What are you smoking?

Unless.... you order direct from Paul C. Is that all he's charging?

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

13. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Hmmmm, cheap, clean, lots of volume, lots of tone control....... sounds like a Bad Monkey with the gain cranked down. I just put mine back on the board. Don't know why I took it off, its really REALLY a good clean boost.

14. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

+1 more on the Pheonix stuff. Off topic, I know, but I love the range knob on their fuzzes to give them more bottom end. I love my Pro Bender (Sweet Sound), but that's an issue with "Tonebender" type fuzzes..

15. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Judging by your responses, I assume an RC Booster is out of the question.

16. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

It's 189, but worth mentioning:
    Throbak EQ Boost
    Exceptional clean/dirty boost pedal that also solves any EQ loss problems that occur when boosting a signal.

17. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

18. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Yeah. If you want inexpensive, why not something like a Catalinbread or even the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster? You can find those for maybe $60 used. They are a nice linear boost equipped with true bypass.

I have the ZVex SHO and do love it. It does something great to my tone, no matter where it is in my signal chain. A lot of guys refer to it as "sparkle" but it seems more like a shimmer. Ha ha. Obviously there are some great options if you are wiling to spend in this range: SHO, Xotic RC, Keeley Katana...

If you are looking for a mirror image of you tone but louder, I would steer clear of anything that is really an overdrive pedal. There are simpler, cheaper circuits out there that will do what you want better and for less. LPB, MXR Micro Amp? The Bad Monkey, for example, is a GREAT pedal but it is an overdrive. Even with the gain all the way down, your tone will be manipulated and EQ'd. Anything that is a TRUE treble booster (like a Rangemaster, usually germanium based) is not a clean boost either. It will boost your treble and add a fuzzy feel to your sound.

On the other hand, if you don't mind a slight EQ shift, this could really bring you up in the mix. This is where you might consider something like a Bad Monkey (Or other TS pedals) which will boost certain frequencies and help you out in the mix.

19. theroan

theroan Member

I was thinking of going with the Electro Harmonix Knockout Attack Equalizer, just beef up the volume and the treble a bit. Thought?

20. Burgs

Burgs Member

+1 for the Super Chili Picoso.

The Durham Sex Drive is great too as is the EBS Multi Comp. You can crank the gain on the Multi Comp and it will give you crystal clearness without to much squash due to the multi-band bit. It's a bit unsung IMO.