Clean w/ Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DavidLopezJr, Dec 27, 2009.

1. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Do you play clean with any pedals to shape your tone? Boosters, EQ's, Sonic Stomp? Basically what pedals make you more happy when you play clean.

2. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I use a few OD pedals ;) Totally kidding...

I actually really like setting a chorus very very very slow. It gives it a very interesting dimension that I like quite a bit. It's a different take than using EQs and exciters.

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

For clean tones, my Dr. Scientist "The Cleanness" clean booster does the trick very, very well! It has Volume, Gain, and Low, Mid, and High EQ knobs, so you can shape your tone anyway you like with it. I also combine it with my Keeley Comrpessor for more sustain on clean sounds.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Delay.

I love the way my amp sounds clean, so a little delay and I'm in heaven.

(and a little Red Witch Moon Phase-ing to taste is very nice as well)

5. melven62

melven62 Member

I liked the super duper I tried, it added some nice sparkle to my tone.

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Usually nothing in the way boost if I want clean. Maybe a dash of compression for certain tones, but mostly just guitar > amp if I want clean-clean.

Of course, in some cases I will add a touch of reverb and maybe some kind of mild modulation for variety.

7. Presc

Presc Member

I actually will sometimes use a clean boost, but keeping it so that it doesn't push the tubes into overdrive. Although fairly transparent, most clean boosts seem to change the tone just a bit. The boost I have (basically a BYOC Tri-Boost) in silicon mode adds a bit of fatness to the bottom and glassiness to the top end. It gives more muscle to the clean sound, very fun with a Strat in particular. It's like having those big Stevie cleans.

8. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

I play clean a lot. Usually always have some modulation on (a chorus, a vibe, or a tremolo), and I love the extra oomph my RC Booster gives me. Delay a lot too.

9. kennethkofler

kennethkofler Member

I use a Keeley Katana set around 4 and then adjust my master volume with it on. I like the added warmth and harmonic characteristics of clipping the input signal, even with clean tones. The boost stays on full time. Chorus is nice, but I generally only like it very modestly on recorded stuff. It seems like it gets muddy live. I also like to add some tremolo on some charts and use a Leslie as well. A slap-back delay is nice of you're feelin' honky-tonky.

10. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

For my clean tone, I'm using a HBE Uno Mos, with the gain dialed back to about 9:00, along with a compressor. The Uno Mos fills out my Strat's pick-ups nicely and can put a little "hair" on my clean tone. I'm an Xotic fan, and I know the RC gets a lotta love, but I have to say the Uno Mos is a pretty nice pedal that seems to be under the radar on the forum.

11. patrickisbusy

patrickisbusy Member

I like compression and delay. Just a little squash to give it more punch and then a nice quiet analog delay to give it some space.

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I most always use a clean boost on my cleans all the time, after that delay.

13. woland

woland Member

Dynacomp (new one) and RC Booster,

14. jhuse

jhuse Member

I always have an RC Booster and Sonic Stomp on. With Fenders, I add the Katana boost. Depending on what kind of clean-tone I want, I may throw in a Keeley Blue Driver or Small Fry (with gain set below noon on each unit and guitar volume rolled back).

15. fritferret

fritferret Member

after getting my first ep booster by xotic, i got another almost immediately, one for each channel. when playing clean i set both fets to the up position and it gives my long-scale lp style guitar a much more strat-y tone, but much thicker. it's great. i also us a sd1 w/ the gain turned off. that takes a liitle of the high and low end away but adds a good amount of mid (i don't mean good as in a lot) to the sound that kind of makes my clean tone react a little like it's overdriven. i love it!

16. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Barber Tonepress makes me very happy playing clean.

17. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

I'm currently using a DynaComp, but I'm wondering what the Xotic EP Booster might do for thickening up my strat and staying cleanish...

18. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I just got the MSB from This1smyne on here and it is an amazing little piece of magic. It is based on the SHO pedal and adds a sparkle and clarity to your tone that only enhances your existing setup. Putting it this way, you know when its turned off and you won't like it!!

http://www.this1smyne.com/Pedals.html

[​IMG]

19. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Keeley Comp and Carbon Copy. Mojo Hand Analogue Filter if I'm feeling funkay!

20. vhollund

vhollund Member

AM bicomp and delay makes me happy