cleaner writes off guitars with polish!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jaywalker, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Nightmare:
    The cleaner took out some polish/kitchen roll and decided that it was high time my guitars were cleaned.......

All the surfaces are now scratched as hell and look like poo.

any idea how to get the tissue paper damage off?????

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

just getting ANY buffing compound from an auto store

with a nice clean tee shirt - it'll be perfect all over again - no problem

It'll take longer to drive to the store than to fix it - no worries

3. JimH

JimH Member

Just need something finer than the scratches to make more scratches.

...however one issue maybe that it ends up dull. May need to buff.

4. rooster

rooster Member

I've taken small scratches off with Zymol, it's the blue auto polish that BMW uses. It uses crushed almond shells for an abrasive, and leaves a nice shine. Also, McGuire's stuff is really nice, the swirl remover takes most problem scratches out.

rooster.

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Thanks guys.
    36 guitars in total so it could take a while.

6. DC1

DC1 Member

Buffing and polishing compounds come in many different forms. The wrong ones could make things worse. I would show one of your guitars to a good finish guy first and get advice on the specific compound or polish to use.

just a thought

DC

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Member

For poly finishes, I would use Meguiar's No. 9 Swirl Removeer, using a microfiber hand cloth. Maybe a wheel with a foam or microfiber bonnet for the large areas. For nitro guitars, I'd use something with less cut, and maybe even just hand buff it out with a cleaner/wax. If you are comfortable with sandpaper, some 1500 or 2000 wetordry can speed up the process.

I hope that maid is hot....

8. joefender

joefender Member

I've used Kit brand "Scratch Out" on several guitars over the years that have been "cleaned" by previous owners. I've used it on acoustic and electric instruments. Try to keep it out of deep scratches though as they will collect the polish and look more white and pronounced. It's best to use it with the guitar disassembled so you can focus on the body finish and not have to worry about buildup around hardware.

9. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

I'd have a little talk with your house cleaner about what is and isn't on the "do not touch" list :)

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I've been using Meguiars Mirror Glaze since the '70s. Fender even team up with Meguitars and offers a variation called swirl and haze remover. Good stuff!

11. reeced

reeced Member

Don't know whether it's the same stuff, but I've used Meguiar's ScratchX Fine Scratch & Swirl Remover very successfully - it's available in the UK.

12. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

If you have something constructive to add to the thread - you know, like actually ANSWERING THE GUY'S QUESTION - please do so. Otherwise, leave it alone.

I can't believe I had to remove 2 pages' worth of posts b/c some of you can't play nice with the other kids.

--chiba

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Another vote for MeQuiers. Jack Briggs turned me on to the stuff and it works killer!

14. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

+1 Meguiar.

Microfiber clothes only. And I'm more anal than that. Laundry detergents have abrasives in them that leave small scratches. So I wash my polishing clothes in the washing machine with dishwasher detergent.

15. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for cleaning this up Chiba.:AOK

I prefer the 3m Finesse-it II over most of the Meguiars products myself. That followed by some 3m hand glaze and those guitars should be scratchless and as shiny as....:confused:

16. Dave

Dave Member

I had good luck with Meguiar's ScratchX too. I used it on a black guitar and it left the spot I used it on just as shiny as the rest of the guitar.

17. Jescar

Jescar Silver Supporting Member

Why not use the brand of compound/polish that is used by every guitar manufacturer...Menzerna. It may not be a household name since it is used by factories and professionals, but it will give you factory results. Meguiar's may be selling their product through Fender, but Fender is using Menzerna.
    Check out the luthier supply companies online or Google Menzerna for availability.

18. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Member

Menzerna is good stuff, but I thought it was commercial only. I've never seen it in a store, anyway. The Menzerna compound I've used had a heavier cut than Meguiar's No. 9 Swirl Remover. I'm sure there are many different cut levels of Menzerna though, since it's commercial. For paper towel scratches on a guitar I would think a very light cut polish or compound would be all you need.

EDIT: Just looked on Stew-Mac; they do have four different levels of cut:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/Menzerna_Compounds.html

19. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I bought a 1951 Epi Triumph at a pawn shop once for $189 with the Gieb case. It was in great shape except whoever owned it back in the day apparently sang and ate dinner at the same time he played. It was covered with 40 year old spittle drops that had dulled the finish. I sent it in for a neck set, refret and buff. It came out beautiful. I tried my self but without actually taking compound to it I couldn't get those spots off.
    On one of my ES175s I had a big dull spot that I couldn't buff out. I had OFF bug repellant on my arm and it dulled the finish. Once again I couldn't fix it but the tech made it look like new.
    I would take them a few at a time to a luthier and let the pro fix them.
    Don't let that clean polish any bronzes or other items with intentional patina. She could probably make a rusty Trussart look like brand new steel!!

20. scottlr

scottlr Member

So you are saying your maid or housekeeper did this to your guitars? If that's what you are saying, AND if they are still employed by you, I'd follow the suggestions above, but I'd make them do each and every one to your satisfaction and under your supervision. We had a housekeeper that took steel wool to all of our water faucets, and that made me mad enough. Who in their right mind would clean a guitar with something like that? That person surely would do that to you fine wood furniture, would they? I am sure they had a good heart when they decided to do this, but still... common sense? No!

I wish you well!