• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

cleaning a vintage guitar?

teefus

i recently purchased a '79 hamer. it has been well used and has lots of checking, etc. how do you guys clean something like this? been thinking about a meguiars cleaner to remove surface dirt. not really concerned with polishing. thanks.

mike shaw

Apply naptha to a cloth. Polishing compounds can sometimes get into the checks and leave a white residue. Looks horrible!

Paul-A

Apply naptha to a cloth. Polishing compounds can sometimes get into the checks and leave a white residue. Looks horrible!
This.

Start gently. Breathe on the surface and rub with a soft cloth. I'm not kidding, you'd be surprised how much dirt you can shift this way! Saliva works too. Professor Green's polish is gentle and fine to use on guitars with lacquer checking. They use this at Gruhn Guitars. Virtuoso does what it says but DON'T use on guitars with checking where it will leave a residue. Work on a small area at a time and be patient. I prefer to under restore than go too far. Good luck.

straightblues

This.

Start gently. Breathe on the surface and rub with a soft cloth. I'm not kidding, you'd be surprised how much dirt you can shift this way! Saliva works too. Professor Green's polish is gentle and fine to use on guitars with lacquer checking. They use this at Gruhn Guitars. Virtuoso does what it says but DON'T use on guitars with checking where it will leave a residue. Work on a small area at a time and be patient. I prefer to under restore than go too far. Good luck.
This guy is right. Start off with your least harsh chemical (damp cloth) and then progress through to Naptha if you need it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom