Cleaning Control Cavity-sg

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by noctilux1, Jan 23, 2006.

1. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I have a '67 SG that needs some cleaning inside the control cavity. It is shorting out when I select the neck pickup. What is the best way to get some greenish and white, crusty powder off the switchcraft pickup selector control, inside the control cavity.

2. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

any helpful suggestions??

3. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Well, if it is just the selector switch cutting in out, you need to clean the contact points, them old switchcrafts should have the brass contacts, there probably oxidized. this is what I do... very fine 1500 wet dry paper. cut into a slim piece, 3/8 x 3", somethin like that. Open up that cavity, I know there aint much room in there... and notice the switch in there. when you toggle from one pup to the other, notice it gaps on the oppisite.. And what you do is slip the wetdry between the open contacts, close the contacts on the wetdry, and slowly pull the wetdry out, do this a few times to clean the contact points. should do it.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Green & white, eh? Sounds like corrosion to me. All things being equal, I'd just replace the part with a quality modern toggle switch, then use common tuner cleaner (pot cleaner) to clean up the pots and go from there. I know the argument about keeping an old guitar original, but if it's not working, what's the point? Replace the switch, put the original one in a ziploc bag and toss it in the case. Then play!!

--chiba

5. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Murkat and Chiba, I think I will try the 1500 wet dry first. This just started in the past few days. I've had the guitar since '69-'70. There is a little green just under the black plastic guard on the wood, lip of the cavity. The white powder is on the switchcraft. I've moved a few times and the temp has changed quite alot in the different homes. I now have a de-humidifier in my music area (bunker). If the 1500 wet dry doesn't work, I'll get a new switch and save the old part. Your information gives me a starting point. Thank you.