1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Nickel Pickup Covers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RMosack, Jul 8, 2006.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Anybody recommend the best way to get the corrosion, oxidation, patina or whatever it's called off nickel humbucker covers?

My 1994 Les Paul had the stock pickups with the CHROME covers for about 8 years. Those pickups are now in a USACG Tele Deluxe-oid. They look practically brand new.

When I rewired the Les Paul for the Jimmy Page scheme a couple years ago, I went with 4-conductor Duncan '59s with NICKEL covers. Apparently, they offer nickel or gold, not chrome. Within a couple months (if not weeks), the covers started looking dull and discolored. I regularly wipe down all my guitars after playing, but to no avail in this case. They look horrible and feel rough to the touch. I want to make them look decent again, but don't want to do any damage.

Any suggestions?

2. Bluespicker

Bluespicker Member

Neverdull, it's cheap, works well on any metal and you can get it anywhere. Get the impregnated cotton in the can, not the liquid stuff.

3. Topcat

Topcat Member

I would be extremely careful about constantly polishing your nickel plated covers.

When I was much younger than today, I wanted my nickel covers on my Les Paul to shine like chrome. I used to polish them as soon as they started to tarnish as they made my very 'new' looking guitar look kind of old.

One day I noticed I could no longer get the covers to 'shine' in places. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks--I rubbed the plating right through in certain spots to the metal underneath the nickel!

:jo

I look at that damage every time I pick up that guitar to play--my original '60 Burst. It's really not too bad but I wish I never touched it.

I can't recall what product I used but it was suppose to be very easy on the metal. Be careful.

Topcat

4. Rich

Rich Member

Havent tried the stew-mac product, but Im with Topcat about going lightly when you clean.

And if you really wanna kill plating in a blink, have at it with gold pups -- super easy to burn thru that thin layer. Cool if you like the two-tone effect, though :rolleyes:

5. jaimo

jaimo Member

The same you do with some silver plate.
    Plain toothpaste.

6. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

7. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths. Available at Wal-Mart, Bed & Bath, etc. Not abraisive. Works great.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Probably the best suggestion here. For years I've used an automotive wheel cleaning product called "Blue Magic". Works like nobody's business! But, it will take the plating off with heavy rubbing, if you're not careful. I just live with patina on nickel - adds to the charm!;)

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Whoa there!

Any polish, repeat ANY polish, is going to be abrasive. It may not contain actual mechanical abrasives; i.e., powdered abrasives, but it helps to see the chemicals that cut through oxidization for what they are: mild stripping agents. A rule of thumb is if it can break down oxidization, it can eventually breakdown the thin nickel plating used on guitar hardware.

Look. Not to be a jerk, but how about accepting the natural aging process a little more gracefully? Look at it this way. Every blemish, every wear-mark, every little uncleanable stain on your guitar represents a great memory - a guitar life well lived.

hdahs143 likes this.
  10. scottlr

scottlr Member

I agree with Dave. In fact I am looking forward to my pups NOT looking so new ;) Seriously. I know it is a matter of taste, but to me, that patina is soooo cool. I even like the way gold on ES 347 looks all worn to silver in spots. This is natural relicing. Let it do its thing. The guitar finish will catch up to the metal parts eventually.

11. Luke

Luke Senior Member

A little Lime Away, the bathroom cleaner, on a paper towel. Barely damp, not wet.

12. lord preset

lord preset Member

Coarse steel wool. What could go wrong? :crazy

13. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

yep, rub the raw leather over the metal. It will clean and shine without abrading the surface.