Cleaning rubber capstans

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TheTrowerFreak, Mar 4, 2006.

1. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

Is there a household/auto item that will do a decent job without causing deterioration?

TTF

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Windex or rubbing alcohol.

Do NOT use Tascam's Rubber Cleaner - it ruined the capstan on my old 38 1/2" deck.

Loudboy

3. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

Windex, it is.

Thanks.

TTF

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

First off, it is well known in the old analog deck community that some rubber parts spec'd by European and even American firms were not properly cured, and turned to goo, or simply fell apart, and I'd suspect this caused the problem loudboy had, not the Tascam stuff.

I don't recommend Windex for parts on analog decks. Windex and most glass cleaners have "wetting agents" that aren't specified but in fact are detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonium Hydroxide, and alcohol; in other words, there's a lot of stuff in there to gunk up your machine and actually dry out or damage the parts, and in most cases, it isn't even listed on the bottle.

Rubbing alchohol is also the WRONG kind of alcohol, because it is ethyl alcohol with various chemical additives and water, only contains 50% alchohol by volume in most cases, and it tends to dry out rubber worse than plain isopropyl alchohol. It's designed for rubdowns, hence the name, and not for things like prepping syringes, which requires greater purity in the alcohol content. Even isopropyl alcohol isn't great for rubber parts, but it's a lot easier on them than rubbing alcohol. If you're going to use alcohol, which isn't all that bad, use isopropyl.

However, there are any number of A/V part and head cleaning products on the market that are designed to be used on these machines. I use a product by Geneva, which is specifically formulated for cleaning the tape path, and doesn't harm rubber or plastic, but as I said, the standard thing to use is standard isopropyl alchohol. Not my first choice, but do what ya gotta do.

I also recommend the use of foam A/V head cleaning swabs, because they don't leave a residue like Q-Tips do. You can get them any number of places, but I think Radio Shack also carries them.

Incidentally, I used the Tascam rubber cleaner for many years on analog 1" and 2" machines I had and used, and had no problems whatsoever.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

I've used this stuff many many times without any problems either.

6. ricoh

ricoh Member

Same here.................................

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Ditto

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

same here, nearly 15 yrs. on my old Tandberg cassette decks with no problems.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Didn't mean to blow against the wind, just going by what a Tascam Service rep told me.

My deck had been sitting for a while and I was cleaning it up, to sell. Took the old Tascam Rubber cleaner to it and it turned all the pinch rollers to sticky, gunky crap.

I'd never had problems w/it before, altho he alluded to it being cumulative.

Recommended 99% isopropyl for the tape path, which you can get at Walmart.

And yes, Windex is pretty standard for cleaning the pinch rollers, which perfectly fits his need for something household, that won't cause deterioration.

Loudboy

10. tone4days

tone4days Member

i always thought denatured alcohol was the trick for rubber bits in the tape path and head ... no?