1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning tolex on a Silver Jubilee?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Adwex, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Adwex

Adwex Member

The Jub is looking a little faded, what's the easiest and safest stuff to use on it?

2. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I've used mild dish soap and a soft toothbrush in the past. No matter what method you use, test it in an inconspicous area first.

3. megatonic

megatonic Member

A couple things that work:

After cleaning - vaseline (recommended by an amp tech/restoration pro).

Also I really like Formula 303 Aerospace Protectant. It gives a great natural shine; not that overly slick "Armour All" gloss. It contains no petroleum products so it won't degrade the tolex over time. Majorly good sunscreen, too. I use it on my dashboards, my amps, and anything else I want to keep looking great.
    You can get it at some auto parts or boating supply stores. Or order directly from the company www.303products.com .

4. Guitar_Dude

Guitar_Dude Member

DO NOT! use vasoline or any other petroleum based product on tolex - That's a sure way to destroy or damage it.

5. megatonic

megatonic Member

That sounds logical since I just discouraged the use of petrol based products right afterward(in my previous post). Suppose I had a brain fart when I was posting at 4am. But a well regarded amp guy did actually tell me to use it. I used vaseline once and it worked well. Only problem was,...it was vaseline! I just didn't like the thought.
    Only used the 303, since.

6. radiohead

radiohead Member

mr. clean magic eraser