Cleaning Tube Sockets

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cancelthesound, Feb 21, 2005.

1. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I'm looking for information on cleaning tube sockets. Any information (cleaning material, directions, etc) would be a big help.

Thanks! :D

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Caig Pro Gold. Either use the pencil or put it on a small lint-free cloth and wipe the tube pins, then run the tube in and out of the socket a few times. You can use compressed air for dust and such.

The reason for the Pro Gold (which is, I think, actually more expensive than gold by weight) is that it is the only product I am aware of that will not turn to varnish when things heat up -- particularly for an amp that runs the tubes inverted.

Some sockets are not worth cleaning and should be replaced, like these from a '81 Deluxe Reverb.

[​IMG]

(That's RTV in there... who needs tube clamps, eh?)

3. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the tube sockets are as bad as the ones in the picture you posted. I have some Cleaning Duster "Pressurized Air Duster" from Office Depot hopefully that will get the job done.

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Not to be a di** but why ask the question if you are going to use the "air duster " you have to begin with?
    Air in a can will not clean the tube socket or remove any oxidation.The Caig Pro gold that was recommended is a very good product.If you don't want to spend the bucks you can use some Caig DeOxit and save a little.

5. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Well, the only reason I'm using the air duster is because Wakarusa Amp suggested it. I had the air duster on hand because I use it for my computer.

I will probably pick up the Caig Pro Gold soon, but right now I'm just rebiasing my amp and I wanted to give it a quick cleaning. The tube sockets aren't that dirty at all.

6. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

OK so I am a di**.I misread the question and answer.I have to quit trying to read these boards and practice at the same time.
    I'll go now.

7. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Man, I hate when that happens:)