Cleaning Up A Guitar after Residing in a Damp Basement!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitkrazy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I had to put a few of my guitars in storage for a while in my parents basement and unknowingly my parents dehumidifier went kaput and the basement became damp. I went down the other day to see how my guitars were fairing (sidenote: The dehumidifier was replaced and it does not seem damp anymore, but the damage was already done to the guitars. Firstoff, I have 2 Peavey Wolfgangs down there (1 an original that actually seems fine, but the EXP tough not bad the Floyd Rose seems like it is tarnished? Though the strings have apparent rust, the guitar was in tune. Do they make a tarnish remover or restorer? Does anyone have any recommendations of how I can restore the hardware? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

something like Flitz or Simichrome may do well though I'm not sure of the particular metals on there & how they would react.
    That's a bummer, I had the same happen but luckily the only issue was some mildew on a some cases that I took care of with Clorox wipes... one case had to be junked though.

Good luck

3. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

Thanks! Yeah, the cases had some mildew, but they cleaned up pretty well. I just hope I can get the hardware back to where it was.