• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cleans on a THD Flexi

JWK

I'm wondering about the clean tones on a Flexi. It was my understanding this amp was mostly variations on JCM800 type sounds. Not much clean headroom. I've read some things that lead me to believe this might not be the case.

I'm always interested in trying out amps for their different clean to slightly breaking up tones. I'm also always wanting to know about the tone stack. Fender/Marshall type, baxandall, how interactive the EQ knobs are, etc.

If anyone can give me some info base on their experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

gixxerrock

I love the Flexi cleans. My other amp is a Rivera Quianna, but there is something about the Flexi cleans that I just can't get enough of. Check out the THD site for the video of Carl Veryheyen playing clean.

I have been playing my ASAT semi-hollow into it with my country band and it gets a beautiful twangy modern country sound that works perfectly. I run it in 20W mode, 6V6 tubes, pre just under half way, master 3/4 up and ride the guitar volume. We are not super loud, but it has lots of headroom.

Last edited:

brent

the Flexi does righteous full throated cleans, it may be what it does best

Not scooped blackface clean or vox-y, kind of the best of both of those combined

it has what I refer to as the Andy Marshall highs, unique to his amps in the way they interact with the mids and fit in a mix perfectly

absolutely stellar in a live band setting

The design was all about getting British voiced distortion and a great clean from one amp. With the switches there are a number of clean voices to choose from. I like the clean sounds I get with the boost on best. No matter how distorted you run the amps preamp and or poweramp you can use the volume on the guitar to get a good clean. People have reported getting Vox and Black face type tones with the right tubes and settings. I feel a Hot Plate with the amp is very practical because a lot of the sounds from this amps are about the power amp being turned up. The tone controls are not very interactive and have a large range that works. Baxandall bass/treble. Very strong mid control. No presence but the cut is similar but does not add gain. The clean to clean break up on the amp is amazing. I am sure the huge dynamic range of the amp helps. When using a pick or my fingers it responses more to my right hand more than any other amp I have played on. It has a lot more tonal / voice range than a 800. Headroom is not something that I have had a problem with. What preamp and poweramp tubes you use gives different colors and headroom. Setting the bias a little hotter or cooler also changes things.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_main.html

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_flexi50.html

http://www.univalve.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12

http://www.legendarytones.com/flexi50.html

Last edited:

JWK

Well, you can never really tell without hearing one yourself, but this sounds like the type of amp I'm looking for. Other amps I'm considering are the Deliverance 120 and the Sig:X. I'm sure very different sounds.

I owned a Flexi for 5 or 6 years. It's a great amp!!!!!! The Cleans are beautiful, but I loved the amp for the semi dirty tones. You know.... kinda clean, kinda dirty sounds.

devbro

I just picked one up last month from a member and I'm still liking it allot. I play mostly clean and as previously posted, the clean with the boost on just a little gives a nice "spanky" clean. The main reason I bought it was because I heard it was uncompressed so you could hear everything you do - good and bad. If you're looking to hide and need an amp that covers up mistakes, this is not the amp for you. I'm running 6L6's biased at about 35 and chinese 12AX7's.

StompBoxBlues

You know what I never see happen, but wish I did...

Video/audio clips of some pedal or amp, where you just never know if it REALLY sounds like that? Well, we have a ton of resources here on TGP. It might be a really cool experiment to ask people that HAVE the amp to go out and try and find the youtube (or wherever) clip that they believe sounds MOST like the THD Flexi clean.

I know there are variables, not least in the speakers connected to our pcs, etc. but one could take the file and burn it into a CD-R and play it in a real stereo...and get an educated guess about what the amp really sounds like...

Or...find a music store that has one and play it. It sounds snarky, but seriosly, then it just helps the one person, but all that come after have to do the same (and it isn't always easy to find the amp), so would be really cool, if we had clips that most people agreed sounded like the actual amp!

markp

Gold Supporting Member
I like the cleans and light gain sounds on the Flexi the best,but I am not crazy about the Flexi with many pedals(pedals always seem to want to ad low end or low mids or a treble thing and the flexi doesnt need any of that,pedals with buffers can be bad)For pedals mid hump TS type are my fav and I like time machine boost .

Mark C

Simply a killer amp. I'm still kicking myself for having to sell mine, but someday I may pick another up if I ever have the dough lying around. I found the cleans to be really good, and the drive was fantastic. Personally, I felt it was like having the Marshall I always really wanted - great cleans available, and an awesome old school rock tone at a reasonable volume (although the amp could be louder than hell if that's what you need).

Orren

I'd have to agree with the previous posters, the Flexi has a really excellent clean, rich and full bodied!

Orren

I love the Flexi cleans. My other amp is a Rivera Quianna, but there is something about the Flexi cleans that I just can't get enough of. Check out the THD site for the video of Carl Veryheyen playing clean.

I have been playing my ASAT semi-hollow into it with my country band and it gets a beautiful twangy modern country sound that works perfectly. I run it in 20W mode, 6V6 tubes, pre just under half way, master 3/4 up and ride the guitar volume. We are not super loud, but it has lots of headroom.
Thanks Gixxerrock you just answered my question! After trying a ton of amps for nice country twang with my Gretsch 6120 with all the modern nicities such as effects loop, power attenuation etc, while still giving me a choice in tones, I was down to either the Rivera Quianna and the Flexi 50. It seems that you are another THD satisfied customer! If you ever get a chance to throw up some country samples through the Quianna vs the Flexi I would love to hear them!

Trending Topics