Clearing a Boss TU-2 out of the signal path

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Nov 16, 2005.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Ok,

I'm finally getting into the world of true bypass effects. Mind you, don't know if it's good or bad... but whatever. I'm thinking of getting the strobostomp, but until i've saved up for that + managed to convince myself that it actually looks good, I was hoping to try something with my existing gear.

My Deluxe Memory Man has two outputs: direct and delay. I usually plug the Memory Man to my amp from the delay output as there is no effect from the direct output. But what if was to plug the delay output to the amp and the direct output to my TU-2? Would that remove it from my pedalchain? Will it do something weird to my signal? Atleast I wouldn't have it buffering my pedal chaing...

As you may have noticed I am not very good at this stuff so please give me clue!

Ta!

Thomas:confused:

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

I would give that a try. I also have a memory man and was thinking of doing the same thing (if I ever get around to buying a tuner pedal). It would be out of your chain because it is not being routed back to your amp from that output.

3. meterman

meterman Member

worth a try, although it may split or reduce the signal going out of the delay output (don't know, just guessing)....

as far as the Strobostomp, worth every penny regardless of how you like the looks! So much more accurate than the TU2 I used to have and once I got used to it, much easier to use.

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

That should work.

I've always liked the line driving effect that the TU-2 buffer has on the signal. My amp always sounds a tad bit weaker when it's not in the chain

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's really good to hear. I have to try that and see what it does for my sound. Up til now I had been hanging my TU-2 off my volume pedal, the tuner out, which while it doesn't remove it completely from the circuit, also doesn't end up using the buffers to drive the signal either.

But I have been thinking about not using the volume pedal for a while, and just thought it might be a problem inline...but this is encouraging. I'm going to see how it works first in line.

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've been using the TU-2 in the Tuner Out of an EB Volume Pedal Jr., and I don't hear a degridation of tone that way. I just run a short cable from the VP to only the Input of the TU-2. It works great, IMO.

But, I know some guys in the Mpls. area that think it does affect your tone, so they've had the Volume Pedal Jr. modifed by a local shop.

7. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I use an A\B\Y pedal

A = effects chain w\o tuner
    B = tuner

8. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

would anyone here suggest a strobostomp over the TU-2 due to accuracy? I find the TU-2 to be jumpy as hell!

9. shuffle

shuffle Member

I find its jump too - also the high E string is hard to get in tune without tweaking a bit afterwards. I havent tried a Strobostomp yet though!

Teddy Boy - buy a mini loooper (www.loooper.com) - that will just take your tuner out of the chain all together if nothing else works!

10. eknapier

eknapier Member

teddy boy - did you ever try out that trick with the memory man? how'd it work out for ya?

11. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I did it awhile back with the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress, it has a direct out, as does my Ibanez AD-9. The tone sucking ended with the TU-2 plugged into the direct out of the DEM.

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

Tried it. It worked fine. Just reminded me how annoying it is to tune up without the signal muteted though ; ) I might still get the strobo at some stage or otherwise just live with th e TU-2. I mean, is the tonesucking that bad? It doesn't really bother me that much or am I tone deaf? How can I test myself for tone deafness?? :rolleyes:

Bestest,

Tom

13. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

The StroboStomp is in a different league than any non-strobe tuner. I finally broke down and bought one a month ago and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It is true bypass and does not color the tone at all.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This is the main reason to get one. There is a huge difference, like going from a Crate to a TopHat or Matchless. (kind of a bad example, sorry)

I have a Strobostomp on my gig board and a TU-2 on my home board. It's definitly a compromise to use the Boss. I have to retune all the time, cause I didn't check the tuning several times to get the different readings it gives.