ClearSonic Baffle Panels

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoeP, Jun 11, 2006.

1. JoeP

JoeP Member

Guys, i'm a loud player. I have to admit it. I get the look from sound engineers at clubs..... i even have gotten the ''look'' outside at festivals. So, I took a trick that i learned from Joe Bonamassa. I picked up one of the Clearsonic baffle panels for amps.

You can be as loud as you normally are, but people in the front row, don't get the blast out of the cabs. I pretty much always run 2 amps, and they are pretty loud, just from pushing twice the air. These panels work. You can hear the amp really well, it hits the panel, and shoots straight up, so, even you, don't get the blast from the amp. I'm sold on them, and will be getting a bigger one for my 4x12 cabs.

I won't play another gig without these panels. They just flat out work. I had people tell me last night, that i actually needed to ''turn up"!!!!! (I was playing the new /13 LDW and a 37 together w/2-2x12 cabs, and the volumes were up about 1/2 way...!!!!!!!). After the show, before we tore down, I took the shield down, and tried the rig, and our other guitarist just laughed and said that i was ,,, ''sh***y loud!!! Put the panels back up, and it remarkably killed that blast!!!

Consider it. I really actually heard better on stage, and the people in the venue appreciated it too i think.

I just would have never believed it, if I hadn't seen Bonamassa in a small club, and talked to him afterwards. Trying this, is believing it.

Joe

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

They do work. I have had problems hearing myself with the panels up though. But my situation has a lot of "audience noise" compared to my volume.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I really really dig mine - same experiences here.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've been using one for about 3 years, great thing if you play louder and I rarely get told to turn down.

5. thedave

thedave Member

Thanks for this info. I've seen them used in small clubs. But I always wondered if the high frequencies don't suffer? Wouldn't this setup tend to favor less-directional bass frequencies. In addition to becoming less loud and beamy, doesn't the sound become less focused and less crisp?
    thedave

6. JoeP

JoeP Member

I never seemed to lose the snap or the tonal characteristics of my rig. Just the blast. I set the shield up about 2-3 feet in front..

7. GAT

2-3 feet is perfect. I'm using the 3' tall one, so it just covers the 4x12 cab. I can hear over it. It takes away the ice picky tones but the highend sounds natural. If the Clearsonic is really close to the amp it can sound strange.

8. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

a sound tech told me he thought these were a good idea, but made the miked signal a bit more compressed. I am in the process of building shields for the side(s) to protect the drummer/ keys. Fortunately, its a big club with lots of people so whats getting out front is not a problem.

9. GAT

I've asked several soundtechs and none thought it sounded bad or different in a strange way. I've seen Joe Bonamassa use them on 3-4 occasions and I think his tone was great and the mic'd tone didn't sound overly compressed.

10. thedave

thedave Member

Thanks to all those who replied about the baffles' possible effect on tone. This is very helpful.
    thedave

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Lately, most of my gigs are only vocs, kick and maybe snare through the PA...

So, how about rooms where you aren't mic'd off? Can you stay in a stage mix OK? Isn't it hard to tell?

12. GAT

Sometimes I might "shrink" the baffle by making a sharp "V" so that some of the outside edges of the speaker cabinet is not being shielded. This allows a bit of a non-blocked sound to come through. However, if I'm playing with some volume, usually there is enough coming through even when fully blocked. Some of the guitar sneaks through the vox mics, too. I really think it smooths out the sound and there is a more natural sound in the audience instead of a "beamy" high end.

13. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I've been using plexi baffles on my amps since '97. You can put the volume where the amp comes alive and not blast the audience. If you have trouble heariung yourself when using them, get one that is a bit lower. I found that as long as the front projection area of the speakes is covered it is effective. Yod don't need one that covers all the way to the top of the amp

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've been using my drummer's hard plastic cymbal case in front of my amp.

One less thing for me to schlepp, and it does the trick very nicely.

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

We're hardly ever mic'd, and the baffle trick still works just fine.

16. JoeP

JoeP Member

I didn't have any problems with mic'ing the cabs. They didn't sound any different out front to me, than what was coming off the stage. Agreed, if you set it up to close it will sound weird. But, mine was set about 28-36 inches away from the front. I'm just using the 2x4 panels for 2x12's, but will be getting a bigger one for the 4x12's.

I'm sold. Crank it up and let er' rip. Damn the attentuation...

Play loud and love it..

J

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

That's what I needed to hear. I started using a Budda Super Drive 45 and a pair of 2x12 cabinets. I'm wrestling to keep my volume under control, even with a Hotplate. The Hotplate is okay if I use no more than two levels of attenuation. Thing is, with Celestion speakers (and Budda Fat 12s for that matter - I use both), the speakers need a certain amount of drive before they do their thing. I think I'm gonna pony up for a set of ClearSonic panels...

thanks dudes!

Peace,

jb

18. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I've been using my clear sonic panels for the last 6 months and I'm sold on them. I won't go back to attenuators again. One thing I do notice though, is that in a tight club space area, the sound shooting straight up can take your head off if your not careful.

19. GAT

They make a combo short version and a 4' one. But they also make a 3' one that is not on the website that works well for 4x12s. They also make a cool carrying case.

20. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Reviving a verrrrrrry old thread.

For a 1x12 closed back combo do you guys think 2-24" panels in a V would do the trick or do you prefer using them around the sides as well?