Clelestion Blue alnico in a 20-watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnsfore, Feb 13, 2008.

1. johnsfore

johnsfore Member

Hi. I've got a Fender Princeton Reverb 2 amp (awesome amp) and am thinking about replacing the original worn-out speaker with a Celestion Blue alnico speaker which is rated at 15 watts. Trouble is that the PR 2 is a 20-watt amp (or 22-watts depending what website you visit). Anybody got any advice about doing this? Can this be done or am I taking too big a chance? Otherwise, I will go with a Weber Blue Dog anlico rated at 30 watts. Thanks.

2. Sherman

Sherman Member

John,

First, welcome to the boards. I can't vouch for the Celestion Blue but you ought to do yourself a favor and check out the Scumback Scumnicos from Southbay Ampworks (www.southbayampworks.com). The proprietor Jim Seavall has really done his homework regarding speaker tone. He recently came out with his version of an alnico speaker that he calls the Scumnico. It's currently not shown on his site but he does make them. I got one from his 1st run last year. It sounds/performs better right out of the box than my original Vox bulldog. They are made in 15, 30 and 60 watt versions. Contact Jim and he'll steer you in the right direction.

Just my $.02.

Sherm

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    My TopHat Supreme 16 Amp (16watts) powers (overdrives) Two(2) Celestion Blues AlNiCo Drivers and I have no problems. You can count on your amp peaking at as much as 40 to 45 watts if its running at full efficiency.

I would probably feel safer with the Weber's or Scumbacks.

Though I haven't heard the Scumbacks I know the story behind the research that was done to match their sound to the best of the best early vintage blues and greenbacks. He actually chose Weber to help with the prototyping and manufacturing of his proprietary designs.

My next cab is going to be a detuned 4x12 using Scumbacks

Enjoy The Music
    Groovey Records

Oh BTW welcome to TGP

KABONG

[​IMG]

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

go for the blue...or the Blue Dog..or the Scumback...

5. JimH

JimH Member

Depending on how you run your amp you may even blow a 30W speaker.

6. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I have a PR II and I wouldn't put a Celestion Blue in it. Especially if you use the od channel.

I replaced the Jensen in mine with an older 200 watt EVM12L and couldn't be happier. The EV also handles any pedal you can throw at it with no problem.

7. monstermike

monstermike Member

Be careful. You don't want "Celestion blue" to be a sentence.

I know, I know, it doesn't work on screen. Say it out loud.

Sorry.

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

As you should not have. However he's talking the opposite...more amp wattage than speaker handling capacity. To the OP I have a VOX AC30TBX...two 15 watt blue alnico Celestions powered by a 33 watt amp. A few amp watts over the speakers' 30 watt-rated capacity. I crank it and run a booster and no problems. The blue generally can handle more than the rated wattage. However...however...always an exception to the rule is my caveat emptor warning.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the kudos, sir! My new site is coming together nicely, and you can get info on the Scumnicos here: http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/scumnico.html

Sound files will be recorded later this month after I schedule some time with a local recording studio.

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I get a little bit worried about the Celetion blue in my tweed Deluxe clone. I usually use an attenuator so no worries unless I ever need full power. A 30 watt Scumnico would sure put my mind to ease.

11. johnsfore

johnsfore Member

Many thanks to everyone who's helped me out with this issue. What a great resource TGP is for gearheads like us! I just joined and I'm already hooked. Will definitely be calling Jim at Scumback to talk further about these amazing sounding speakers - which I had never heard of before yesterday. Thanks again!

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

I aksed Den Cornell about using a 15w Blue Alnico in an 18/20w Plexi amp and he said it was asking for trouble, definitely not a good idea. Look into the Gold Alnico, Webers or indeed the many others suggested here.