Clever workaround/emulation, if I may say so myself (Prince content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jdogric12, Apr 27, 2016.

1. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

So it was bound to happen... one of the bands I play in is rehearsing Prince's "Kiss" tonight for tomorrow night's show. I initially cringed, but figured I could enjoy it if I did it right, instead of half-assing it like many cover bands do with Prince. So I spent a few hours last night working on it... mostly searching the net for info on the production, and "the chord."

I'll start with the chord. As I suspected, it's not just one guitar. It's likely two, playing (ascending from D/12th fret) D F# B C# E. I thought maybe I'd take a 12-string and tune one of the B strings up a whole step, but, no. Won't have the same funk as the 6er I plan to play (a Suntech). So I'm having the singer play xxx779 while I play x-x-12-11-12-12.

Then there is the rhythm instrument you hear throughout most of the song, from before the first verse. Sounds synth-y. Turns out it's an acoustic guitar run through a compressor sidechained from the hihat line out of the drum machine. That would be much harder for me to replicate... so I came up with what I think is pretty clever. I set up a drum machine, not to be heard, but for the drummer to listen and play along to, and I take the MIDI tempo out of that to sync to my Boss Slicer, which has a pattern that's not too far off the original. (I think it's Bank 2, pattern 3, IIRC, for you SL-20 owners playing along at home).

No bass guitar in this song. Interesting!

Balance, Crowder and Chrome Dinette like this.
  2. jdogric12

Rehearsed last night! It went really well. Drummer was (is) a pro, followed the machine flawlessly. The two-guitar chord nailed it. I wish our vocals were up to snuff but hey you can't have it all, right?

Crowder likes this.
  3. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Do the 12 inch version. People won't be expecting that.

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

i covered it once before, we did it in a Prince/Tom Jones hybrid

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Kudos for going the extra mile to get it right.

T Dizz and Washburnmemphis like this.
  6. jdogric12

Thanks! The show was last night and all the crazy contraptions we hooked up for this totally worked! I can't claim to have nailed every note in the solo perfectly, but I reckon if it was graded like schoolwork, I would have earned a solid B.

7. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I have a live show of Prince, and he's teasing a girl in the front. At one point he says, "Maybe she wants a 'Kiss'", and then he plays "the chord" - by himself.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. jdogric12

On further study, it sounds like the "impossible chord" is only the first one that kicks off the song... all subsequent "the chord"s sound like the 1-guitar version: x-x-12-11-12-12. I'd be interested to see/hear your show, Doug, got video linky?

dougb415 likes this.
  9. dougb415

dougb415 Member

No, it's on CD - "2nd nite alone in Chicago". I think it's just the x-x-12-11-12-12 chord.

10. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

An awful lot of work for a 3 minute song.

11. jdogric12

Thank you for the compliment! :)

12. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Same thing with "When Doves Cry".