Clicks and Pops in PT8...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jjboogie, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I was mixing yesterday for the first time on my new Macbook Pro and PT8 and started hearing audible clicks and pops......at first I thought it was in the recording itself then realized that they were not consistent and had to do with something in the system.

On another note my Macbook Pro does NOT have a Firewire 400 port (800 only)......I purchased a cable that was 400 on one end and 800 on the other running from my 002 to my Mac. Would that be causing the problem? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Here is my system right now
    10.5.6 Mac OS X
    2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB
    Lacie Hard drive 200 GB

Any input would be greatly appreciated......it is extremely distracting hearing these clicks and pops. Especially when you are trying to edit out any unwanted sounds!

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Have you tried inreasing your buffer size? PT8 is a known CPU hog, and it is very possible that you're simply overtaxing your computer. Clicks and pops are often a symptom of too small a buffer size.

You will have more latency with a larger buffer.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Hey thanks for your reply.......Well looking at the CPU meter the particular session I was on was hardly even putting a blip on the meter....only about 13% was being used.......I wouldn't think that would cause clicks or pops would you?

It is set at 85% allocation of the CPU and I could always bump it up more.

It is running SUPER fast with no errors or weird slow downs at all just some clicks and pops occurring....they aren't even that loud but noticeable.

4. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    what are you clocking to.

If nothing, make sure you are set to internal. command-2 on you keyboard will open the session setup window. From there you will be able to select your clock source.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

If you're not taxing the computer, KungFuLio is right, it might be a clocking issue. The next thing I would check is a drive problem. However, going 400FW into 800FW port shouldn't really be a problem (it isn't for me with my MB Pro running Logic on those occasions when I have to leave the studio and use a laptop).

6. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Well the clock is set to internal since I am not syncing it with anything else.

What kind of a drive problem do you think could it be? I am sure there could be several possible issues.......

Thanks to all you guys for your input so far....Hoping this gets resolved soon!

7. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

PT 8 is still kinda buggy, could just be a bug. Try going to the digidesign forums, they can tell you if it's a known issue.

8. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Are you using ant filtering plugs. Many of then can leave some noisy artifacts. I've had this experience with Soundtoys, Moog Phasers and such. Placing a gate after these plugs is a quick and easy way to solve this.

As far as PT8 being buggy, I don't think so. In 15 years of ProTools use, this has been one of the most flawless upgrades ever. Most issues come down to plugs that aren't upgraded or people not abiding by the compatibility sheet issued by Digi. Not all Macs and PCs are compatible with PT8. That can be checked at Digi's support page.

Best of luck. I love chasing down these issues. If you can post more info, perhaps this can be resolved. Also, post your problem at the DUC. It's a great source for user answers. http://duc.digidesign.com/

9. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Thanks man....I have been to that Digidesign forum and signed up days ago however it will not allow me to post or comment. They never sent me a confirmation....and I cannot get a hold of an administrator.

Anyways I still have not figured out the problem yet.....I will look at your suggestions and see if anything looks close to that.

I am using the Waves Gold Bundle Version 6.

10. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I've seen this caused by many things, usually clock related. I'd be suspect of the conversion cable. I've never seen it caused by overtaxing the processor. One of the more coomon causes has been bad ram.

11. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

You mention the Lacie Hard Drive. Is it FireWire? Is your interface FireWire?

I've read about issues with regards to using FireWire audio and hard drives.

Can you try without the hard drive?

By the way, I just ran into some serious problems with my Quad G5 and audio. It seems as though there were issues related to the internal digital audio and my external firewire audio syncing word clock. I just removed the onboard audio drivers, and it appears to have solved my problem.

If you'd like to try that approach, just to see if that is the issue, the two files i moved are AppleOnboardAudio.kext and Apple02Audio.kext ... and they can be found in system:library:extensions. I just dragged them out to the desktop and rebooted the computer.

-jm

12. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I just bought 4 GB of RAM.....and installed it myself. Got it from Microcenter.......now I can't remember what kind it was.....it happened a few weeks ago.

13. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I've seen it many times, once to me. I'd pull the new ram and try it...

14. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I ran into a somewhat similar problem when helping a friend put together an LE rig. No pops & clicks, but DAE errors all day long. like you, I suspected fw800 was the issue.

Problem never returned once we switched to an (external) fw400 drive.

If you dig through the Digi site, you will find that they do not recommend FW800 for LE. A 400/800 cable is not a valid fix.

Not sure how you'd get around it on your rig...best of luck.

15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i'd suspect either the size of the cache allotted
    in order to cover RTAS,
    or (similarly) the size (speed) of the buffer, myself.
    dt / spltrcl

16. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Actually I am only using the firewire 400/800 cable from the DIGI 002 to the Macbook Pro..........I am using USB from the Lacie drive to the MBP which I just read on the Digi website that that is not a good thing........the problem is I don't have any more inputs on my MBP for a 400 to run from the HD.......

17. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Oh, yeah that's probably it. The USB drives, even the 2.0 spec, just don't have the bandwidth to read and write fast enough to not get errors.

-Z

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I have not received one error yet though. I am only experienced slight popping and clicking sounds.

Even when I start up PT I hear one pop as it is booting. Then during playback I hear the clicks and pops. They are not real loud but just audible enough to make you think it is in the mix but it is not.

.........minutes later............I just found this on DIGIDESIGNS website!!!

"*The late 2008 and early 2009 “unibody” MacBook Pro models require an unconventional configuration due to a lack of a FireWire 400 port and only having FireWire 800 instead:

The configuration options are:
    1) FW800 port —> FW800 Drive (912 or 924 chipset) —> Out FW400 port on Drive —> Pro Tools LE FireWire audio interface

2) FW800 port —> FW800 to FW400 converter cable —> FW400 Drive (911 chipset) —> Multiple FW400 Drives (911 chipset) as needed for maximum track count —> Pro Tools LE FireWire audio interface​
    When qualifying Pro Tools USB devices we connected the device to the USB port on the computer and used the above configuration guidelines for connecting drives only."

I need to try this out!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  19. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

None of these issues would cause random clicks, however.

20. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

You are right.....because I just set this up the way DIGI specified and although it definitely is running faster which is good the little sound artifacts are still there.